Foot odor is an embarrassing health problem. The foul smell coming from the foot will not go away easily and is too stubborn. It bothers in the summer and in winter. Certain bacteria in the feet and fungal infections on the toenail or on the foot are the main reasons for the stinky foot. Certain medical conditions such as diabetes, heart problems can also cause stinky foot. Whatever the reason behind, you will have to get rid of the smell one way or the other. Here are a few effective natural remedies to erase the foul smell from the foot.
The basic soaks To Deal With Foot Odor
The steps to erase the smell from the foot are to wash or soak and dry. What we are going to see here are a few soaks that are effective. Before going into the details, do know that excessive sweat glands in the foot produce more sweat that allows the bacteria to grow in. these bacteria produce this foul smell. So basically these soaks contains astringents, antibacterial agents, anti-fungal properties, and deodorizing effects.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is acidic and can make the foot unsuitable for the bacteria to grow in. it removes the problem causing bacteria and thus eliminating the foul odor. The procedure for a vinegar soak is to add ½ cup of vinegar into a basin with warm water. Soak in your feet for 15 minutes and pat dry.
- Baking soda: It is the easiest deodorizer available in the kitchen. Baking soda is effective against sweat, bacteria, and fungus. It controls the growth of microbes and neutralizes the sweat pH. Add one teaspoon of baking soda in one gallon of water. Soak the feet in for 15 minutes every day. Additionally, sprinkle some dry baking soda directly into the shoes and smelly sandals and cover them with aluminum foil and freeze it overnight. Freezing and the baking soda will completely erase the microbes inside the footwear it will eliminate any smelly residue behind.
- Epsom salt: Epsom salt has astringent and anti-bacterial properties. It closes the sweat pores and controls the sweating amount. It can also soothe the feet and relieve tension. The amount to be used is half a cup of Epsom salt for half bucket of water. Use this soak every single day, it not only relieves the smell but can also relax the tired feet and mind. Simple salt water can also work to eliminate the sweating and bacteria as it dries out the feet. But that method may not be suitable for those having dry feet.
- Black Tea: Black tea contains tannins that have antibacterial property. It kills the odor causing bacteria. The astringent property of this solution will close the pores of the feet through which the sweat comes out. Take 2 teaspoons of 2 teabags and mix it in 3 cups of boiling water. Turn the heat off and let it steep for 10 minutes. Pour this solution into a basin and mix it with additional warm water. Soak your feet for 10-15 minutes, soaking for as long as 30 minutes can also be highly effective.
- Ginger: Surprising? Yes, ginger root is a wonder ingredient that seems to have unlimited health usages. Soaking the feet in a ginger bath will get rid of smelly foot. It has antibacterial property and can also remove toxins. Take a medium sized ginger root, remove the skin, and make a puree of it in a mortar and pestle. Add this puree in a cup of hot water and let steep for 15 minutes. You can either mix this solution in warm water for a soak or apply the solution on the feet directly and massage for a few minutes.
Some additional tips for foot soak
- Whatever the ingredient used for the soak, keep your foot in for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Foot soaks like vinegar, baking soda; salt and Epsom salt etc make the conditions unfavorable for the microbes to grow.
- Do not wash your feet after the soak. Simply pat dry it and let or dry naturally.
- Adding a few drops of glycerin in the soaking water can prevent drying of the foot. This tip works better for those who have dry skin.
- For hard foul smelly foot, soaking may be necessary every day for the first few days or a week. Later it may be repeated 2-3 times a week and then to once a week.
- Those who have excessive sweat glands might have a relapse any time. They MUST do the soaking once a week for maintaining the good health.
Originally posted 2013-04-06 00:14:07.