Cyanocobalamin is a man made form of vitamin B12 which is used to treat deficiency of vitamin B12. The chemical name of cyanocobalalamin is 5, 6 dimethyl-benzimidazolyl cyanocobalamide. Cyanocobalamin appears as reddish maroon crystals. Vitamin B12 is very important for the body’s growth, tissue synthesis, cell production.
ROLE OF VITAMIN B12 IN OUR BODY
It is helpful for absorption of foods, proper digestion, making of DNA, immune function, muscle weakness, nerve functioning, ataxia, vision problems, and hypotension.
Vitamin B12 uses body’s fat and carbohydrates for energy and synthesis of newer proteins. It is important for nerves and normal blood cells.
Vitamin B12 deficiency for more than 3months have reported irreversible damage to the nerves of spinal cord.
Vitamin B12 cannot be replaced by any other form of vitamin B. Patient should be warned that folic acid intake, in place of cyanocobalamin may prevent anemia but will allow progression of sub acute combined degeneration.
NATURAL SOURCES OF VITAMIN B12
Vitamin B12 is not present in foods of plant origin but it is present in animal originated foods. Hence strict vegetarians have been reported with vitamin b12 deficiencies.
WHY B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN?
It is the most effective and inexpensive type of B12 injections. It is the only exclusive form of B12 added to food and used in dietary supplements. When cyanocobalamin is injected in to the body, it gets converted to methylcobalamin and very little amount of cyanide which is not harmful. This makes it more stable and can be crystallized. This makes it more easy for purification after it is been produced through bacterial fermentation.
DOSE OF B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN: 1 ml of Cyanocobalamin solution contains 1000mcg.
WHAT WILL MY ORDER FOR B12 SHOTS OF CYANOCOBALAMIN INCLUDE?
Each kit includes
- Cyanocobalamin vial
- Alcohol prep pads
- Band aids
- Detailed instructions
WHO IS IN MORE NEED OF B12 SHOT CYANOCOBALAMIN?
If one is suffering from pernicious anemia, gastrointestinal pathology, dysfunction, small bowel bacteria overgrowth, total or partial gastrectomy, fish tapeworm infestation, malignancy of pancreas or bowel will eventually make malabsorption of vitamin B12.
METHOD OF ADMINISTRATION OF B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN
It has rapid absorption with intramuscular and subcutaneous injection. The compound reaches its peak in an hour after intramuscular injection. Liver stores vitamin B12. Oral administration is undependable form of administration for patients suffering from pernicious anemia and other serious vitamin b12 deficiency diseased conditions. B12 Shots cyanocobalamin needs to be injected in your body. Intramuscular injections are given directly into the centre of selected muscle. Three main sites that are commonly used for administration are Deltoid Muscle, Gluteus muscle and Gluteus medius muscle. Finalizing the site of injection depends on muscle density at each site. Wash your hands and site of injection well. After proper mixing, carefully inject the syringe into the muscle perpendicular to it. Hold the syringe with one hand and see for any positive aspirations (blood entering to syringe while pulling the holder back).If no blood enters, it is safe to inject the solution. Inject slowly the desired amount. Place a band aid over the site. It is important to have a demo from your prescriber or nurse before self injecting. Refer the patient’s information leaflet that comes along with the product before use.
Children should take not more than 3mcg daily. This is recommended by the food and nutrition board, national academy of science –national research council.
Seek medical emergency help if you have signs of allergy reactions – difficulty in breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat, OR chest pain, rapid weight gain or unusual warmth. The less serious effects include- headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, tingling sensation and itching.
STORAGE OF B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN: Store at room temperature. Do not freeze. Do not store in toilet and in bathrooms. Keep out of reach of children. Properly discard when it is expired. Do not flush the remaining solution in toilet until instructed to do so.
OVERDOSE OF B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN: This medication has very less chance for overdose. Kindly consult your doctor in such crisis.
MISSED DOSE? To get proper benefits, it is important to consume your medication as directed. Consult your doctor to reschedule. Never double the dose.
SIDE EFFECTS OF B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN: Pain/ redness at site of injection, diarrhea, itching or feel of swelling over the body.
DRUG INTERACTIONS WITH B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBALAMIN: Cyanocobalamin may interact with blood cell production processes. It may interact with chloramphenical, anti- cancer drugs, HIV drugs and supplements such as folic acid.
CAUTIONARY NOTES WHILE ADMINISTERING B12 SHOTS CYANOCOBLALAMIN 30ml
- 30ml vial are for 1x daily injections. Product may expire if not used 1x daily.
- You should not take cyanocobalamin if you have allergy to cobalt since the cobalt content is 4.34%. If you are suffering from Leber’s disease administration of cyanocobalamin can lead to optic nerve damage in them.
- Cyanocobalamin is not recommended for sulfa allergic individuals.
- Check the product visually for presence of particles or discoloration. Do not use in such conditions.
- Cyanocobalamin should be taken only with prescription during pregnancy. It has more chances of passing into breast milk. Adequate and well controlled studies have not been done in terms of cyanocobalamin with pregnant and breast feeding ladies. Since the dose may vary for nursing, pregnant women and for vegetarians kindly consult your doctor before administration.
- To make sure that the medication is helping your medical condition, you need to test your blood after 3months and report to your doctor.
- Kindly put an effort to learn practically how to dispose the syringe safely after use.
Patients who have suffered from Lebers disease suffer from swift optic nerve atrophy when treated with cyanocobalamin.
- Avoid drinking alcohol if you are taking B12 shots cyanocobalamin.
- Never share your medicines or syringes with others.
- Use only for the prescribed time period.
- Anaphylactic shock and death have been reported after parental vitamin B12 administration. We suggest you to take an intradermal test dose before cyanocobalamin injection.
- Cyanocobalamin comes under FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether cyanocobalamin injection is harmful to an unborn baby.