Change of bed sheets during midnight is a common episode for parent having younger children. Bed wetting is one of the common sleep disorders that are mainly common among children.
It will not be called as a disorder for those kids younger than 5years old. However, if the child persists to wet the bed continuously even after 8-10 years it should be called as disorder and treated as early as possible. Many parents have a misleading thought that the kid wets bed because of laziness. The capability to control the bladder at night will differ for each kid. Related studies show that boys wet twice as much as girls do. There can be many factors as a causative agent-anatomical and psychological for bed wetting. It is essential to meet your kid with health consultant and rule out the cause. 90% of the kids believe that they are the only ones who wet the bed. Parent’s pressure will make the situation harder for both parent and the child. It is important for frustrated parents to realize that no child wets the bed with a purposeful intension.
Genetic Cause For Bed Wetting
Studies have proved genes play an important role in bedwetting. Recent studies show that 3 out of 4 kids who have the habit of wetting bed have inherited it from parent or family. Detailed studies shows chromosome 13,12 and 8 are specific genes that cause this sleep disorder. It would be better to communicate your child about your same history which would calm his or her mind and it will help them to keep you as their role model when better things come up in their life.
Anatomical Cause For Bed Wetting
Other set of parents sit back thinking it’s one among the common habits in childhood. But some anatomical or biological reasons do play a role in bed wetting.
- Delayed bladder brain relation: it is mainly the play between the brain and bladder action that makes a person help to prevent bed wetting. Bed wetting occurs when it takes more time to develop a communication between brain and bladder.
- Low anti-diuretic hormone (ADH): ADH is a hormone that is released by pituitary gland. This hormone which is otherwise known as vasopressin has an antidiurectic action.
- Deep sleepers: when one kid is in deep sleep, the brain too sleeps. Hence the bladder brain relation fails leading to bed wetting.
- Constipation: a common cause but yet unknown for many. When the bowels are full they pressurize on the bladder causing bladder contractions that are uncontrollable. This in turn causes bed wetting.
Urinary tract infections, Sleep apnea, Diabetes, Spinal cord problems do play as causative factors for bedwetting.
It Hurts The Heart
A child’s heart is as sensitive as a soap bubble. Laughter, a word, or a minor action can create a huge spark in a kid’s mind and this will eventually play a very important role in modifying a future man’s heart. A tease from elder sibling or a friend can create a huge impact in a Child’s psychology. Such an act has proved as a therapy to bedwetting but might leave a permanent scar in any other form in a child’s thought.
Beat Bed Wetting
For those children who have gained the control over bladder and then relapsed with the condition needs to rule out the causative factor. A positive attitude can avoid several everlasting problems that can be caused due to bed wetting.
- Positive reinforcement systems: In this technique, the child is instructed well not to wet the bed and when he/she has a dry night a reward should be gifted. Such a positive approach will make a kids psychology a better one.
- Toilet should be the very last place that a kid has to visit at the end of the day. Encourage your child to pee before he or she goes to sleep.
- Covering the bed sheets with plastic or rubber: This tip would be useful for frustrated parents who are tired of dragging your kid out of bed and changing wet bed sheets between sleep.
- Bed wetting alarms: Studies have proved children have stopped bedwetting with usage of alarms. The main principle behind bedwetting alarms is that wetness caused by urine joins a small gap in a sensor located on a pad that can be on bed or attached to child’s cloth. When the sensor gets wet from urine, the alarms ring which will awaken the child.
- Medications: Some pediatricians do prescribe medications after ruling out the biological cause in the body. Please avoid self medications for such conditions.
For most of the kids, bedwetting gets better with wait and watch approach. But it’s crucial to rule out the cause if it persists or the condition relapses on its own after 10 years of age.