New Year is a time for resolutions. When we take up many resolutions into the to-do-list for the year, one that we mostly forget is the skin. Skin is the most exposed organ that is more prone to pollution and toxins. Detoxifying this organ is as essential as any detox diet.
New Year is the best time to get a new life for our skin. Unlike the general detox program, skin detox is an easier process that requires just an hour a day. You can also find time for yourself while the skin is detoxifying.
I was looking for the easiest skin detox method and came across several. Here is the skin detox method that I am going to start. I usually do the facial cleansing as mentioned below. I just need something done for the rest of the body skin. Let’s start!
Detox for facial skin
- Cleansing: Cleansing is the first step, as it removes the dirt and debris from the skin surface. You can get different types of skin cleansers on the market but I prefer milk. Take a cotton ball and dip it in a small bowl of warm milk. Squeeze out the excess and use this damp cotton to remove the dirt from all over the skin and neck. Remove the milk using a washcloth and warm water. Milk can be sticky.
- Exfoliation: People usually go directly for exfoliation after cleansing. What I usually do is to rub in a few drops of warm olive oil all over the skin and massage it in. It takes about 5 minutes to get the oil absorbed into the skin. Once the oil is absorbed, go ahead with your choice of a natural exfoliator. The warm oil massage loosens the dead skins and it will be easier to remove them.
- Steaming: The next step is steaming. Add a few drops of lavender or peppermint oil into the hot water and apply the steam all over the face. It opens the pores and removes any remaining debris. You can also drop in a towel into this water, wring out the excess water and place it over the face to let the steam in. You need to let the steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Face pack: It’s now time for a face pack. Always try to use a natural face pack. Since this is a detox regime, use either charcoal powder or a suitable clay mask. Let the mask sit in for 10-20 minutes depending on the mask type. When you feel your skin is stretching, it is time to wash it off. Wash off the mask with lukewarm water and finally with some cold water. The cold water helps close the open pores. Pat dry the skin and you are done.
Detox for body skin
The body needs the same steps for a detox or as part of the regular cleansing and pampering. It just takes a different route.
The body skin is cleansed with the help of a dry brush. There are dry skin brushes available on the market. You may also use a baby brush for the same effects. The brush is used on the dry skin to remove dead skin cells. Use the brush to gently brush over the dry body skin in an upward motion or that directed towards the heart region. Start from the feet, leg and move upwards. Avoid using the dry brush method on the face. You can get the suitable type of brush if you want that.
The improved blood circulation with the dry brushing carries the toxins from the skin cells and removes them. You may use the brushing method on every part of the body except the face, neck, private parts and underarms.
This is the most popular and conventional method of skin detox. You use the bathtub to soak in with the detox salts. The detox salts pull out the remaining toxins from the skin and body. It is relaxing and helps improve the blood circulation.
Epsom salt, Green Tea bags, sea salt, Apple cider vinegar, coffee grounds etc are the commonly used detox salts or ingredients. Any of these ingredients are added to the warm water in the tub. You need to soak in for a good 20-40 minutes.
Have no tub? Detox massage!
Not everyone has the luxury of a bath or is able to use the bath. They can use the relevant ingredient mixed with a few drops of water or oil, as required and can massage them on to their skin. Leave this on the skin for the stipulated time.
These massages with the salts or coffee grounds act as extra exfoliation for the skin. The Apple cider vinegar is not a good choice for this but. If at all you want to use it, it should be duly diluted to at least 50% with water.
The salts can be diluted with equal parts of water and can be stored in a sprayable bottle. Spray this solution on to the skin and leave it for a while before you take the shower. You need to warm up the water to let the salt dissolve completely.
Foot soak/hand soak!
Those who don’t have a bath can try this method as well. Add in the detox salts or ingredients mentioned above and soak their feet or hands in it and soak for 15-20 minutes.
- You can simply use them as regular shower scrubs.
- Dissolve the salts in hot water and inhale the steam to get rid of sinus problems.
- A washcloth compress with these salts helps in healing bruises.
Final step- oil massage
The final step is to massage the skin with an oil mix. Mix olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil in equal parts and use the oil to massage on to the skin all over the body. You may either leave the oil on the skin until your next bath or take a shower after half an hour. You don’t need to worry as it will be absorbed into the skin.
The skin detox does not end with these steps. You need to drink detox drinks, plenty of plain water, herbal teas etc. Drink at least 8 glasses of water + 2-3 herbal teas, every day for a week. Top it all with a detox diet that is most suitable for you. Just the skin detox does not give you the best of results. You need to add the herbal teas, water, and the proper diet to enhance the results. You may do this skin detox any time of the year. You just need to play with the ingredient mix for the best results. You may want to use less of the oils during the summer.