Diabetes is the presence of excess sugar in the blood. If a question arises like whether this condition is hereditary or not, then the answer is yes.
Genes can also be a reason for getting diabetes. The normal blood sugar level is the co-ordination between the hormone insulin and the sugar from the food. When there is more sugar and not enough amount of insulin in the blood to control its level, it results in diabetes. The reduction in the insulin can also be because of the presence of excess sugar.
Types of Diabetes
- Type 1: This diabetic condition is caused by the malfunctioning of the pancreas that produces very little insulin. This diabetes is seen at a very early stage even from childhood. Autoimmune disease that destroys the cells of pancreas that produces the insulin is destroyed causing high blood sugar level.
- Type 2: Type 2 diabetes is somewhat an acquired condition. Obesity, over consumption of sugary substances, lifestyle, and the lack of enough insulin or the inability of utilizing the produced insulin, all these are the reasons for getting type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes is the third type where the pregnant women become diabetic during the pregnancy period, which in most cases gets cured after the childbirth. But in rare cases such diabetes is carried forward even after delivery and they stay diabetic for a longer time. The woman is most likely to suffer the same even in her next pregnancy as well. The risk of such diabetes is higher when a woman conceives at a higher age.
The Hereditary Factor For Diabetes
Both Type 1 and 2 diabetes are inherited from generation to generation but of them studies show that type 2 occurs more commonly than the other one. Children whose both parents are diabetic are more likely to develop abnormal blood sugar level at some level of the life. If the parents happens to be diabetic before they attain the age of 25 then the child has higher chances of getting it. The same is the case with siblings getting diabetic if one of them has diabetes at an early stage. In the case of twins it is even more likely with 90-100 percent chances for type 2 diabetes and 50% chances for type 1. Since obesity is also a diabetes causing factor and obesity is controlled by some genes, it is also a causative hereditary condition for diabetes. The studies reveal that many tribes suffer diabetes making it somewhat obvious that genes do play some role in developing the insulin abnormalities in the body.
But if the parents or siblings are diabetic does not mean that the other siblings or offspring would have diabetes. It just shows that the chances are high if such situations arise. Diabetes mostly occurs after the age of 50 and that occurring before that age is surely a concern and that is what may be related to the genes. We all inherit such genes from our parents but for many of us the genes are not expressed or activated. It is the same as inheriting green eyes of our mother or the short tempered nature of our father, only that the genes for the opposite reaction are suppressed by the dominant ones. In some people the genes that can cause diabetes are quite dominant while it is in dormant state in others.
How gene affects the sugar level
The genes for diabetes may express itself in different ways, by causing obesity, triggering autoimmune disease or by producing very less insulin. Whatever we do, know that, it is all due to the presence of some gene in our body. Sometimes the presence of the gene is not enough for getting diabetes. Some external factors like poor dietary habits and lifestyle also plays a role in assisting such genes. If a person has less insulin and all of a sudden the diet habits changes and he/she starts having high calorie or high sugar diet, then it is an enough trigger to develop diabetes in no time. With less insulin the body cannot dispose the excess sugar and it end up staying in the blood.
Other Causing Factors
Vitamin D deficiency is considered a factor that can cause diabetes. If you are Vitamin D deficient, have a family history of diabetic cases you should definitely get out in the evening to get some of the vitamin from the sun and also consider taking some supplements.
Certain viruses such as mumps virus are believed to cause diabetes by affecting the autoimmune disease that destroys the insulin producing cells. It also weakens the body’s defense and cause many other diseases as well.
Less activity can add to the body weight and the fat formation interferes with the insulin production and tolerance levels. This situation can lead to high blood sugar level. When there are physical activities, the body burns some amount of sugar for energy and the accumulation is much lower than in inactive state.
Age is a major factor in getting diabetes and it occurs usually at the age or 45 or 50. The aging may also cause high cholesterol and blood pressure levels that go hand in hand to cause rise in blood sugar.
Home Remedies for Diabetes
- Bitter gourd: Peel the skin and seeds from 4 biter gourds and wash them thoroughly and grind into a paste. Squeeze the juice out and mix it with water to make it a glass full. Drink it in the morning on empty stomach. Continue to do so for at least two months for better results. It increases the insulin secretion from pancreas to control the sugar level in the blood. It also helps reduce the insulin resistance of the body.
- Cinnamon powder: Boil one liter of water and add 3 tsp of cinnamon powder into it. Simmer it for 20 minutes and strain it. Drink this water every day to get relief from high blood sugar.
- Fenugreek seeds: Soak 4 tsp of the fenugreek seeds in 250 ml of water overnight and grind it into a paste next morning. Strain the liquid and have the water every day for two months.
- Amla/ Indian goose berry: Remove seeds from 2-3 Indian goose berries and make a paste of it. Squeeze the juice out and add 2 teaspoon lemon juice and add water to make a glass and drink it daily. This juice may be alternated with bitter gourd juice one day and amla juice and next day.
- Tender Mango leaves can regulate the insulin in the blood. Soak 10-15 young mango leaves in a glass of water overnight and drink this water next morning on empty stomach. Instead of that during the leaves in shade and grinding it into powder also serves the purpose.
- Curry leaves has anti-diabetic properties and reduces the speed at which the starch is broken down into glucose. Simply chew some fresh curry leaves in the morning to have lowered blood sugar level along with reduction in cholesterol and relief from obesity.
- Guava in the daily diet helps control the blood sugar. Peel the skin off and have the fruit. Stick to 1-2 guavas a day.
- Water: Drinking water in plenty of amount helps in diabetes. Water moves the blood sugar around and also helps in removing some amount. Drink at least 2-3 liters of water daily. Top it with some exposure to sunlight to help with more vitamin D to produce insulin.
As much as diabetes is related to hereditary, with some proper diet and better lifestyle one can easily ward off the chances of getting it. If at all diagnosed with it at any stage, with the above mentioned home remedies it will not be difficult to control it within a few months.