Live Long and healthy with Bitter Gourd Juice
Its bitterness takes your health to betterness! Bitter Gourd is not famous for its taste, but it holds immense health benefits. From the Bitterness of Bitter Gourd you will enjoy the sweetness of health. Many people are aware that it is very effective in lowering blood sugar level and thus helps in dealing with diabetes. The fact is Bitter Gourd has much more in it.
Lets take a quick look at its various benefits.
- Helps in losing weight
- Healthy heart
- Increase immunity
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Treat skin problems
- Improves eye-sight
- Good for spleen and liver
- Reduces headache
- lowers Blood sugar levels
- Treats cold
- Act as a Disinfectant
- Treats blood disorders
- Good for Cholera
- A good energizer
- Give relief from gout pain
- Relieves from piles problems
- Relieves from respiratory disorders
- Cancer Treatment
- Hair treatment
- HIV treatment
Before moving into the benefits of bitter Gourd in detail lets, take a peek at the nutrients that it contains.
The Nutrients present in Bitter Gourd
Bitter Gourd has in it
- Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, folate and Pantothenic)
- Minerals (Calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium)
- Dietary fibers
- Flavonoids (Beta-carotene, A-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin).
It is definitely a store house of nutrients. It also has in it various antioxidants and helpful chemicals.
Benefits Of Bitter Gourd
- Bitter gourd juice for weight loss: Obesity is an obstacle in the way of health. And unfortunately its presence among the people is increasing at an alarming rate. So, if you are on a hunt for an efficient weightloss remedy, then bitter gourd is your aid! It is one of the best natural remedy for weightloss. How it works? It boosts metabolism by encouraging the secretion of bile juice, thus more fat gets converted into energy useful for the body. Bitter gourd is also very low in calories and the same time the water content in it is very high, the high water content in the bitter gourd will fill you and thus will reduce your appetite. It is effective in lowering the level of unhealthy cholesterol which is one of the factors that makes you put on weight. 100 gram of bitter gourd contains only 17 calories!
- Healthy heart: As Bitter gourd juice helps in lowering the amount of bad cholesterol in the body, in this way it helps in keeping the heart healthy.
- Anti-ageing : Free your skin of wrinkles with bitter gourd juice. Bitter gourd has in it antioxidant that will neutralize the effect of free radicals, which are very dangerous and causes wrinkling of skin.
- Increase immunity: The juice of bitter gourd strengthens the power of protection of your immunity system. A strong immunity system is like a shield that protects your body from various dangerous bacteria and infections. The stronger this shield, the more safe and protected you are!
Bitter gourd juice for acne – Treat skin problems
A clean, clear and glowing skin is a desire of everyone and bitter gourd will help you to achieve the same. Bitter gourd has in it anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic and anti-aging properties. You can get rid off the scary blemishes, acne and any type of skin infections & fungal diseases (like psoriasis, itching, ring-worms, scabies, athletes feet etc. with the consumption of bitter gourd.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Bitter gourd helps in reducing the pressure on blood. It relaxes the vascular system walls, this lowers the pressure and restriction on the flow of blood, which results in smooth and swift flowing of blood.
- Improves eye-sight: the beta-carotene, vitamin A and the various other components of bitter gourd aids in maintaining the health of the eyes and prevents the eyes from various infections.
- Bitter gourd juice detox – Good for spleen and liver: Liver is the filter where the blood gets filtered, the process of detoxification is carried out in here. Bitter gourd helps in clearing the toxins that builds up in the liver due to carrying out continuous filtration process. It helps in keeping your spleen and liver hale and healthy. Bitter gourd is also very useful in clearing kidney stones.
- Reduces headache: Bitter gourd juice helps in relieving stress and tension which are one of the causes of headache. It works effectively in relaxing the muscles surrounding the brain, which lifts the pressure off the brain.
Lowers Blood sugar levels
Now bitter gourd lowers the blood sugar levels and is very useful for diabetes, but how? Deficiency of insulin or resistance to insulin reduces the ability of the cells of your body to absorb sugar from the blood, this results in Diabetes. The bitter gourd juice contains a compound named hypoglycemic which is a type of plant insulin. This compound helps in the activation of AMPK (Adenosine monophosphate activated protien kinase), which in turn helps in the absorption of sugar from the blood and also urine. In this way bitter gourd helps in bringing down the level of sugar in the blood. (Don’t worry it does not increase the level of insulin in the blood).
- Treats cold: Bitter gourd juice is very effective in treating symptoms related to cold.
- Act as a Disinfectant: Bitter gourd is a wonderful disinfectant and hasten the process of healing of wounds and scraps.
- Treats blood disorders: A great purifier! Bitter gourd cleanses the blood of all the impurities
- Good for Cholera: if taken during the starting stages of cholera, juice of bitter gourd leaf can be very effective in curing the condition.
- A good energizer: Bitter gourd is a great energizer. Researchers have found that regular consumption of the bitter gourd juice can bring improvement in the energy level.
- Give relief from gout pain: Gout is an intense form of arthritis and is a very painful condition. Bitter gourd juice is found to be very efficient in lessening the pain and providing relief from this painful condition.
- Relieves from piles problems: If you are suffering from the painful piles problem then here is one of the best natural remedy.1) Take a glassful of buttermilk and add butter gourd juice (around three spoons) to it. Take this mixture first thing in the morning for a month everyday day, you will find a tremendous improvement in your condition. 2) make a paste of the bitter gourd roots and apply it on the piles. This remedy will accelerate the process of healing.
- Relieves from respiratory disorders: Bitter gourd is very effective in providing relief form respiratory disorders like asthma, bronchitis, pharyngitis, cold, cough etc. Fresh pods will be the best for treating respiratory disorders.
- Cancer Treatment: it was found in the researches that bitter guard has the power to kill cancerous cells. It restricts the source of energy to the pancreatic cancerous cells, thus reducing their ability to metabolize glucose and eventually kills them.
- Hair treatment: Hairfall, dandruff, split ends, roughness, dryness, premature graying, over oiliness, forget about all these problems with the bitter gourd juice. For your hair bitter gourd works like a magical wand and ward off all problems and makes your locks look great and healthy. It is the best fuel for healthy tresses.
- Constipation: Bitter gourd is very high in dietary fibers. Dietary fibers helps in restoring and maintaining a smooth and healthy functioning of bowels and gives relief from constipation. It also encourages secretion of liquids called as gastric juices which are essential for digestion.
- HIV Treatment: In some researches and certain laboratory tests made, it is found that certain components present in bitter gourd can be used as an effective treatment for HIV affected people.
How to use
- Inflammation: Mix bitter gourd juice and juice from lemon. Take this mixture on an empty stomach (for a week).
- Fungal infections: Apply the juice of bitter gourd on the affected part.
- bitter gourd juice for gestational diabetes : if not a glass, atleast take one teaspoon of the bitter gourd juice everyday (remember you should have this juice on an empty stomach in the morning).
- Tip: if you are finding it difficult to have plain bitter gourd juice, then just add a few pinches of asafoetida to the juice.
- Malaria: Extract juice from the leaf of bitter gourd and add honey to it. Drinking this three times a day will help in reducing malaria fever.
- Respiratory disorders: take a teaspoon of bitter gourd juice and add either honey or basil leaves juice to it. Now have this formulation everyday at night and you will be astonished with the results.
- Alcoholism/intestinal worms/Bleeding hemorrhoids: Mix bitter gourd’s leaves juice and buttermilk and have this in the morning. It is a natural cure for the problem of alcoholism.
- Measles: A teaspoon of bitter gourd, two pinches of turmeric and a teaspoon of honey. Mix all these together and have it twice daily.
- Constipation: 1) Milk with juice of bitter gourd leaf taken in the morning is very helpful in relieving the problem of constipation. 2) Or take half a teaspoon of bitter gourd juice twice a day.
- Irregular periods: prepare a decoction of the roots of bitter gourd and have it once or twice everyday for few weeks.
- Enlarged spleen: Have bitter guard juice (half a cup) plus mustard powder (optional) twice a day.
- Cholera: should be taken in the early stage of the disease. Mix bitter gourd leaf juice (2 teaspoons), onion juice (2 teaspoon) and lime juice (1 juice). Have this mixture during the staring stages of cholera.
- Purifying blood: Take half a cup of each bitter gourd juice and lime juice and mix it. For few months continuously consume this solution daily. Have it on an empty stomach.
- Leucorrhoea: Take Bitter gourd juice (½ teaspoon) twice or thrice a day.
How To Make The Special Bitter Gourd Juice at Home
It is very easy to prepare bitter gourd at home, you don’t have to buy it from the market you can prepare it in the comfort of your own home.
- Take bitter melons that don’t have orange or yellow colour on them, better if it is dark green in colour. Cut the bitter gourd in half lengthwise and clean out all the seeds.
- Chop the bitter gourd into small pieces. [tip: if you wan to lessen the bitterness, keep the pieces in cold salt water for half an hour. Use only around half a teaspoon of salt.]
- Now put the pieces in a mixer or processor, add little water and process till the pieces gets converted into liquid form.
- Now pour the bitter gourd juice through a cheese cloth into a bowl. After pouring the whole liquid squeeze the cheese cloth nicely to extract the juice from the remnants.
- Store the liquid in the refrigerator using a tight lid plastic or glass container.
- Don’t use the juice for more than a week.
Tip: if you want you can add a little of lemon juice, pepper or honey to this juice to make it tasteful.
Dark green colour is the indication that the fruit cum vegetable Bitter gourd is not ripe. If you are buying it from the market, then buy dark green ones. When bitter gourd is not ripe, it tastes less bitter. With its ripeness the bitterness also increases. If you are buying it from market, it is better to wash it in salt water otherwise if you are plucking it fresh from your vegetable garden then simply wash in cold water. After washing let it dry, then place it in a zip pouch and store in the refrigerator. Placing it with other vegetables will hasten its ripening process.
Side Effects Of Bitter Gourd & bitter gourd juice benefits
Everything has both good and bad elements. It is the same with bitter gourd. It has numerous health benefits, but it also comes with its own set of side effects. A little precaution and carefulness from your side and you can easily avoid these side effects of bitter guard from affecting you.
- Low blood sugar level: Now it is known that bitter gourd is effective in lowering the level of sugar in the blood. Excessive use of bitter guard to lower blood sugar level can result in too much decrease in the blood sugar levels which can create serious health problems like Hypoglycemia coma.
- Favism: People who has G6PD (Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency, after consuming bitter guard seeds might develop the condition of ‘favism’ (also known as ‘Hemolytic Anaemia’).
- Liver and kidney problems: Excessive use of bitter gourd can cause adverse effects on liver like inflammation of liver. But if used in proper amount this can do wonders.
Other Side Effects
- Not good for children: the seeds of bitter guard has proved to be not good for children because of the presence of toxic elements in the seed. Children may suffer from headache, diarrhea and vomiting. It can even result in dangerous conditions like hypoglycemic and convulsions in children.
- bitter gourd juice during pregnancy & Affects fertility : If you are taking fertility drugs and planning for pregnancy, you should avoid bitter gourd, as researches have shown that bitter gourd reduces the effectiveness of fertility drugs.
- Miscarriage: Bitter gourd is a no no for ladies who are pregnant as use of bitter gourd during pregnancy may lead to miscarriage. The reason is the momocharin present in the bitter gourd juice. Bitter gourd is very useful in regularizing the periods. Using bitter guord during pregnancy may lead to menstrual bleeding.
- Stops milk production: Lactating mothers should avoid using bitter gourd because its anti-galactogen property which affects the milk production in lactating mothers actually it stops the production of milk.
The other names of bitter Guard
- Bitter melon
- Bitter Squash
- Momordica Charantia (Biological name)
Bitter gourd juice & tea – where to buy
Studies conducted at the universities of Botswana and St. Louis has found that the Bitter gourd tea is very beneficial for health. Bitter gourd tea is considered one of the best beverages to have, for its various proficient heath benefits. Bitter gourds stems and leaves are used for the preparation of the bitter gourd tea. So those who have the bitter gourd vine at home can easily make this tea at home. But for those who don’t have this creeper in their backyard, can buy bitter gourd tea powder from the market. You can even buy it online.
Every part of bitter gourd is useful. Its leaves, roots, seeds, fruit everything has some or the other usage in the cooking world or in the world of medicine. Friends in the end it is the health, no matter how much money or material pleasures you have, what is the use if you are not in a condition to enjoy these. What is the point, if half of the money that you have earned is going into the hospital accounts?! So being healthy is one of the important criteria for being happy. And eating healthy is one of the thing that will help you to stay healthy. Including bitter gourd in your diet is definitely going to bring that healthy transformation in your life. But as mentioned above be careful with the quantity.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live” – Jim Robin
Bitter gourd juice Recipes
It is understandable that bitter gourd is not a most preferred ingredient while cooking, but if it mixed with proper amount spices and other ingredients, the same will become one of the most loved one! Here are some really delicious recipes that will better the taste of bitter gourd.
1)Oven Crisped Bitter Gourd
This crispy delight is a must try! The bitter gourd mixed with different spices is made crisp without using oil! These are tasty yet health! Can be a great evening snack. Even children would like it.
2) Tasty Bitter Gourd
Like the name, like the dish! You will be amazed ‘can bitter gourd taste so wonderful!?’ Simple recipe that create a delicious side dish!
3) Stuffed bitter melon/bitter gourd
This Stuffed butter melon is something different and will change your outlook towards bitter gourd completely. Sweet with the flavoring of spice, it is amazing!
4)Bitter gourd curry
This is tasty and healthy! The spices camouflage the bitterness of bitter gourd and makes it tastier. It is very easy to prepare and almost every ingredient used in this can be found at home.
5)Bitter gourd stuffed with fish paste
This is a type of Hakka Cuisine which is very famous for its exotic taste. This dish is a combination of seafood and vegetable beautifully joined together to generate a delicious outcome!
6)Bitter Gourd Fried Rice
This recipe is one of the best ways to include the bitter gourd (or for that matter any vegetable)in your family’s diet. They will love it! Actually you can add any vegetable you like in this dish.
7) Karathe Kismuri (coconut based bitter gourd dry curry)
This is really healthy and extremely tasty! And you won’t believe it, it is very very simple and easy to prepare! This konkani dish (It is a type of Indian dish) is surely going to be there in your favorite bitter gourd dishes list once you taste it. And if you have fresh bitter gourd then that will just add up to the tastiness of the dish.
8) Bitter Gourd pizza
A meaty veg pizza this dish will make you forget that bitter gourd is bitter and not rank high in terms of taste. Don’t believe?! Then try this and you will be amazed!