We suffer some kind of common illnesses once a while. Instead of going for chemical drugs, it is better to go natural. All the natural remedies adopt only the natural products that we access in our kitchen or day to day life. Many of them we use, but unaware that it has other medicinal importance as well. Here, an attempt is made to compile natural curing methods for 14 most common diseases.
Table of contents
- Bad Breath
- Common Cold
- Sore Throat
- Urinary Infections
1. Acne: Acne is one of the most troublesome issue right from puberty. The acne that starts from puberty usually gets vanished as the person ages. But in some the problem persists even after they attain maturity. No matter what they do, the problem does not seem to improve. There are a few natural tricks that can deal with acne or at least arrest its growth. The remedies include some face packs, face washes and some diet tips.
- Wash the face or acne affected area with Epsom salt prevents the growth f bacteria and fungus causing acne.
- Take 3 garlic cloves in the morning or drink warm water for detoxification that help reduce acne breakouts.
- Make a paste of turmeric and sandalwood and apply it over the affected area overnight and wash it off in the morning of keep it at least for half an hour to see the acne cleared.
- Apply lemon and garlic juice over the acne with a Q tip also helps. Lemon bleaches the blemishes and garlic has antibiotic activities that prevent the bacterial growth.
- Honey with oatmeal also makes a perfect anti-acne face mask.
- Oils like Oregano, clove oil and tea tree oil are anti-fungal and applying them can reduce acne.
- Make a face scrub with dried orange peel and gram flour.
- Fenugreek leaves made into a paste and applied overnight prevents not only acne but also gets rid of blackheads.
2. Allergy: People with sensitive skin and a weak immune system suffer allergic reactions every now and then. Pollens, fallen leaves, dust etc are the most common allergens. There are natural remedies that can help with the allergic reactions as well as to make the person better equipped to fight the impending allergic attacks. People may suffer from sneezing, cold, skin rashes etc as reactions to the allergens. These allergies sometime start low and might lead to serious trouble when left untreated.
- Saline solution can help open the congested nasal tract. It can be prepared at home by mixing a teaspoon of salt in distilled water and baking soda. But this is not advised for people who suffer asthma.
- Rinse the irritated eyes with cold water.
- Peppermint tea is a natural decongestant. It can also be inhaled as steam.
- Changing the sheets, pillow cases, and blankets frequently also helps.
- If you are one who suffer frequent dust allergy, then floor carpet is not for you. Strip off the carpet and fashion bare flooring with attractive floor boards.
- Apply baby oil over skin rashes that decrease the itchy feel.
- Rubbing the rashes with basil leaves and salt also reduces the inflammations.
- Applying anti-inflammatory turmeric is an easy remedy for skin rashes.
- Eucalyptus oil is used for steam inhalation that opens the nasal congestion.
- Take probiotics for better immunity.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out allergens and mucus to avoid air borne allergies.
3. Bad Breath is a common problem that is embarrassing. It is mostly caused by some unwanted bacteria in the mouth. Dental hygiene, mouthwash, smoking, bad habits and including certain types of food in the diet all cause the problem. Here is some simple solution to rid of bad breath.
- Avoid sulfur containing food.
- Use baking soda to brush the teeth.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables to get rid of plaque. Taking low fat cheese also helps fight the plaque.
- Chew aromatic spices like cloves and cardamom that not only freshens the breath but also fights the smell causing bacteria as well.
- Add three cloves into 2 cups of water and let it steep for a while. Strain and use the solution as a natural mouthwash two times daily.
- Squeeze half a lemon into a cup of water and rinse the mouth with it. Bacteria cannot survive in the acidic conditions.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil in the toothbrush daily.
- Remember to brush your tongue also; it is not just the teeth that allow bacteria to flourish.
4. Common Cold is seen most often and it is one disease that does not have any cure. If you are to take medicine it will be gone in a week and if not, it takes 7 days. All the remedies can only provide relief from the discomforts and the symptoms. Here are a few relief methods you may try at home.
- Spray saline water into the nasal passage to remove the mucous block. A pinch of baking soda may be added to the water.
- Drink as much water as possible, at least 6-8 glasses. Do not just stick to water take liquid as tea, coffee, soup etc.
- Take rest as much as possible and try to keep the head up while lying down.
- Take all food and liquid when it is warm. The heat helps in decongestion by loosening the mucus. Taking hot water shower also helps in loosening the mucus.
- Steam the face and nose with eucalyptus oil added in the water.
- Keep the feet in warm water to ease the nasal congestion.
- A pack of frozen peas over the nose bridge reduces the swellings.
- Add Epson salt in the bath water to relieve body aches due to cold.
- Garlic soup is a great relief from the discomforts of cold.
5. Asthma is difficulty in breathing when any foreign body invades. It so happens that the body overreacts to the invasion that is normally dealt in majority of people. Dust, mites, pollens etc that causes allergic reactions are also the common reasons for asthma as well. Here are a few home remedies to get relief from asthma attacks.
- Mix ginger, honey and pomegranate juice in equal quantities and take this mix 2-3 time daily. Similarly take ginger juice mixed in warm water and having it at bedtime makes way for a trouble free sleep at night.
- A decoction made with fenugreek seeds in warm water, ginger juice and honey makes a lung detoxifier.
- Hot coffee clears the airways, but stick to a maximum of 3 cups a day.
- Breathe the steam with eucalyptus oil in it.
- Onion in diet prevents lung inflammations.
- Drinking lemon water helps reduce asthma attacks.
- Salmon, cod, sardines, tuna and mackerel helps the lung to fight asthma attacks.
- Inhaling the smell of honey also works.
- Avoid pets at home, feathery items and as far as possible, stay away from possible dusty environment.
6. Constipation is the condition where there are lesser frequency bowel movements, or hard and troubled stool. This happens because of lack of enough water in the system. With some simple remedies this condition can be cured and can have healthy bowels.
- Mix a teaspoon each of olive oil and lemon juice and have it on empty stomach.
- Include more fibrous food in the diet. Try to eat fruits and vegetables raw and whole. They are better eaten than made into juice.
- Add two teaspoon of Aloe Vera juice in any fruit juice in the morning.
- Drink ¼ cup of warm water that has one teaspoon baking soda added in it. Finish it as fast as you can for better results.
- Have a cup of yogurt at least once a day.
- Drink plenty of water, preferably warm.
- Take some raisins that are soaked overnight, this works as laxative and make smooth bowel movements.
- Having two oranges daily and including carrots and beets in the diet also provides relief from constipation.
- Take a teaspoon of castor oil as a mild laxative, once a while.
- Avoid too much of wheat, maida, sugar and processed food. Have fruits like papaya and pineapple that helps in easy digestion which is important to avoid constipation.
7. Cough is mostly associated with common cold and comes as the last part of the tenure of cold. The cough could be dry or wet with phlegm. Here are a few methods to get relief from both these cases.
- Lemon mixed with honey makes a throat soother and controls cough.
- Tea made of ginger, basil and black pepper can relieve any kind of cough.
- Carrot juice is a great addition to the diet for people who suffers cough.
- Chew raw ginger to reduce coughing symptoms.
- Hot milk and honey clear the mucus and soothe the throat.
- Have grapes or grape juice to get rid of irritating cough faster.
- Soak 6 almonds overnight and make it a paste next day. Mix it with a teaspoon of butter and have it 3-4 times for better results.
- Have hot black tea with ginger and turmeric in it.
- Gargle with warm water, salt and turmeric mix.
- Mix two tablespoons of alcohol and one teaspoon of honey and have it twice for 3 days to see the cough running away.
- Homemade cough syrup is made with boiling purple cabbage leaves in water and add honey into it. Let this mix thicken. Strain it when it cools, cough syrup is ready.
- Basil leaves and ginger mix is good for dry cough, honey can also be added to this mix.
8. Dandruff is a scalp disorder where flakes appear due to dryness, oily scalp, or bacterial growth on the scalp.
The best remedy for dandruff is coconut oil.. This oil can prevent both bacterial and dry dandruff. It kills the bacteria that cause dandruff.
- Rubbing lemon on to the scalp at least 3 times a week also helps.
- Massage warm olive oil on to the scalp and keep the hair wrapped up in hot towel for 20 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo later.
- Similarly massage with Aloe Vera juice that can rid of dandruff causing bacteria.
- Make a paste of fenugreek seeds that are soaked overnight. Apply this paste on to the scalp and keep it for a few hours. Thoroughly rinse the paste and wash the hair with a mild shampoo. Repeat this process 2 times a week.
- Make a hair mask with coconut oil, olive oil, yogurt and honey in the ratio 2:2:2:3. Massage this mix for 10 minutes and let it set for 20 minutes with a hot towel wrapped around. Keep it for 45 minutes if you are not interested in hot towel. Rinse off as usual with shampoo.
9. Diarrhea happens when there is any kind of food poisoning or if the digestive system is not working properly. There are a few home remedies that can provide relief.
- Take hot black tea with lemon to get instant relief. It helps harden the stool. Keep sipping this drink for as often as possible. Ginger tea also serves the same.
- Take a teaspoon of ginger juice with equal part of honey. Do not drink water or any liquid for a while.
- Drink more water as the body may suffer dehydration and stay away from coffee.
- Make dried blueberry soup that can heal the infection.
- Fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds are roasted and mix it with yogurt.
- Add turmeric in buttermilk and heat this mix and add a piece of crushed ginger and curry leaves. Drink this mix instead of coffee.
- Stay away from milk and milk products, only yogurt, buttermilk are allowed.
10. Fever is the natural defense of the body to kill any invading germs. Here are a few methods to cool off the body and get relief from fever.
- Take a cold bath or sponge with cool towel all over the body to help evaporate cool the body.
- Make the room cool so that the body temperature is brought down.
- Stay on an all liquid diet.
- Take ginger tea that helps in perspiration that can cool the body.
- Chop a lettuce and add warm water in it. Let it soak for 15 minutes and strain it later. Add honey and drink this mix throughout the day.
- Add ¼ cup of raisins in about 8 cups of water and bring to boil. Turn the heat off and let it cool. Strain the liquid and drink it all day at least 6 times.
- Add a few crushed basil leaves in water and let it steep. Drinking this water also helps in cleansing.
- Soak slices of potato in vinegar for 10 minutes. Take these slices and place it on the forehead. The fever will be gone in 20 minutes.
- Soak about 25 raisins in half a cup of water. Crush the raisin in the water and strain it. Drink this mix twice a day to relieve high fever.
11. Headache is just an indicator by the body to let us know everything is not well.
- Ginger is the best remedy for headache. Have it in any form to get relief. Crush a piece of ginger and apply it on the forehead. Make a ginger tea to get refreshed. Inhale the steam from water added with ginger.
- Consume ginger juice and honey in equal parts.
- Massage the forehead with peppermint oil.
- Hold an ice pack or washcloth dipped in ice cold water over the forehead.
- Crush a few cloves and wrap it in a hanky and inhale the smell.
- Mix cinnamon powder and honey in hot milk and drink it.
- Eating apple with salt also helps.
- Bite a pencil to relieve headache.
- A cup of coffee is also good while suffering from headache.
12. Heartburn is a burning sensation in the stomach and feels like the stomach acid is coming up the way. Try any of the following tricks below to get relief from heartburn.
- Mix half a spoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drinking this will ease the acidity.
- Aloe Vera juice is excellent to soothe stomach burn.
- Take acidic food to counter the acidity in stomach.
- Eat banana or apple.
- Ginger tea help soothe the stomach.
- Avoid fatty and oily food that might trigger the acidity.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Munch on some almonds about 3-4 and not more than that.
- A cup of Chamomile tea with lemon and honey soothes the burning.
- Chewing gum makes us swallow many times that helps push the acid down.
13. Sore Throat is often an after effect of cold, cough, or fever. It is also caused by throat infections. It is difficult to swallow even a drop of water when there is a sore throat. Let’s find out what all can we do to ease the sufferings.
- Turmeric in hot milk makes an excellent sore throat remedy. Swallow the liquid slowly so that it keeps touching the infectious part and let the turmeric do its work.
- Gargling with warm salt water or turmeric water helps soothe and kill the microorganisms.
- Drink a mix of one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey in a cup of warm water.
- Suck on garlic clove with crushing it occasionally with the teeth to release the juice. It will be repulsive but very effective if you could pull it off.
- Boil the rinds of on pomegranate in 4 cups of water for 15 minutes. Either drink this tea or use it to gargle for three times a day. The remaining mix can be stored in airtight jars.
- Simply take a teaspoon of honey and swallow it slowly. it is an excellent throat soother.
14. Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) are common but occurs more in women. It will be serious if it is left untreated. You may feel pain and burning sensation while urinating. Pain is also felt in the lower abdominal areas as well.
- A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink this to neutralize the urine and help in speedy recovery.
- Blueberry and cranberry juice is found to be effective in relieving UTI.
- Pineapple also helps get rid of the infection soon.
- Drink as much water as often as possible to flush out the infection.
- Women who suffer UTI should wear cotton undergarments.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Empty the bladder as soon as the sensation is felt.
The Bottom Line
These are some of the many home remedies for a few common diseases we come across daily or once a while. These are all minor when it starts and gets worse if it is left unattended. With some kitchen ingredients we ourselves can tackle the symptom effectively and not let these illnesses dominate us. It does not cost you more than a few minutes of your time even if it doesn’t work for you. I am sure at least a few of them will be very effective. Try the method that you are most comfortable with. Most of these common illnesses demand proper rest and this is what you could do to your body at the least. With some proper and much needed rest our body can prepare itself for the fight against whatever is causing these discomforts. Try these and see the difference that it can make.