Here are top home remedies for gout.
Home Remedies for Gout for Better Health
Gout is an inflammatory joint disease and a type of arthritis. It occurs in 5% of people with arthritis resulting from the accumulation of uric acid into a needle shaped crystals. Usually the uric acids are dissolved in blood and filtered through kidney and passed out through urine. In some cases these are not so and they accumulate in the joints into uric acid crystals. Since they are sharp, they cause discomfort and pain sometimes extreme pain in the joints. The joint will be swelled, red in color. In some the gout attack occurs only once but in others it’s recurrent. Knees and feet, especially toes are the chief recipients of these attacks.
There are so many ways to treat or get rid of Gout naturally. Antibiotics can give you an instant relief but may come with side effects. Life style change, food control, and having certain food can help you decrease the blood uric acid. Here are a few home remedies for Gout.
- Baking Soda: A most common thing found in any kitchen. It can help lower the uric acid in the body. Just mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water and drink it. During an acute attack, drink this solution not more than four times a day. This remedy is not advised to those have high blood pressure.
- Ginger Root: The inflammatory properties present in ginger root makes it an excellent relief for gout pain. There are so many ways to have ginger. Add ginger root in cooking; eat a small raw piece of ginger root daily; add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger root to 1 cup of boiling water and mix it properly and consuming it at least once a day; or make a paste of ginger root with the help of little water and then apply this paste on the affected area for pain relief.
- Devil’s Claw & Capsicum: The roots of these plans can also relieve gout pain when applied as a paste on the affected area.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix 1-2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one glass of water and drink it once daily, until the pain is relieved. Add 2 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoon of honey and have it in the morning and once before going to bed.
- Lemon Juice: Here is one of the healthy Home Remedies for Gout. Mix the juice of one whole lemon with ½ teaspoon of baking soda and leave it for a few seconds before adding a glass of water and drink immediately to relieve pain. Or add the juice of half lemon to a glass of water and drink it 3 times a day. Having fruits rich in Vitamin C can strengthen the body tissues.
- Apple: An apple after each meal will keep the gout away. The malic acid present in apples will help to neutralize the uric acid present in the body and will provide you soothing relief from gout pain and inflammation. Apples along with carrots can e more effective. Apple juice may be used instead of apple.
- Cherry: 15-20 cherries a day can help reduce the gout pain as it contains anthocyanin that neutralizes the uric acid. A glass of cherry juice enriched with a few cloves of minced garlic daily as soon as you wake up can get a relief from inflammation and joint tenderness. Opt for canned cherries only when fresh cherries are not available.
- Epsom Salt: Soak the affected area in warm water mixed with Epsom salt can help relax the aching muscles. Try this once or 2-3 times a week according to the intensity of the pain.
- Cold Water: Do not apply ice directly on to the swelling, put the cold water in a bag or bottle, and keep it over the swelling for 10-15 minutes. If an ice pack is used it should be covered in a towel. Not that excess cold can lead to crystallization of uric acid.
- Activated Charcoal: Make a charcoal paste with charcoal powder and water and either apply it on to the affected area or mix it in warm water and soak the affected area in it for half an hour.
- Bananas: The high amount of potassium present in bananas will help in converting uric acid crystals into liquid form which will be later on flushed out of the body through urination. Bananas are also abundant in vitamin C which can be very effective in managing the swelling and pain of the joints. Daily have one or two bananas or add one ripe banana in your yogurt.
- Castor Oil: Application of tolerably warm castor oil either with cotton ball or flannel coat on the affected joint is one of the remedial options.
- Sufficient movement of the joints can prevent gout as the blood circulation improves and staying in one position for a longer time can force the accumulation and formation of uric acid crystals.
- Dissolve 10g of camphor in one cup of mustard oil and massage on affected areas when it’s lukewarm daily.
- Cook a tablespoon of celery seeds in two cups of water until they are soft; strain and drink 1/2 cup four times a day.
These are only some home remedies for Gout. It helps to relieve the pain; there is no short cut to get rid of gout. One must be patient with gout. Time and determination is very essential in fight against gout.