Yeast is something that lives in the vagina. The number of yeast in the body has an influence on the occurrence of yeast infections. A small number of yeast are common but if the yeast cells are increasing you will be facing Vaginal Yeast Infection.
What is a Yeast Infection?
Yeast Infection is caused in the vaginal area when the number of yeast cells increases. It causes an itching sensation and pain in the vaginal area. This infection is also known as Candidiasis which is a common problem occurring in women.
What are the causes of Yeast Infection?
Yeast Infections can be caused by organisms that inhabit the healthy vagina of the women. A fungus called Candida albicans is a common cause for this infection.
Yeast is usually passed during sex. Children who bath together can also get this yeast passed between each other. It is very important to cleanse yourself after you have had such attacks. Avoid share bathing to avoid these problems altogether.
What are the symptoms of Yeast Infection?
The symptoms of Yeast Infection are really annoying. These symptoms take place usually before the menstrual cycle. Some of the signs and symptoms are itching, irritation and red skin around the vagina area and pain at the time of urinating, pain while having sex, irregularity in the vaginal discharge and the texture of the discharge and so on.
What are the home remedies for Yeast Infection?
- Cleansing Thoroughly – The infection takes place usually inside the vagina but washing and cleaning the outer area will give you a symptomatic relief and will keep away the organisms. It is very important to shower daily and keep your vaginal parts neat and dry. This will impede the growing of yeast organisms in your vaginal area. Also these yeast organisms produce secretions that give irritation and uncomfortability around the genital tissues areas. These secretions should be washed away immediately to relieve your infection.
- Loose Cloths – Wear loose cloths if you are having Yeast Infections. Breathable cotton underwears are most suggested during this period. Also wear loose pants or skirts whenever you are inside home and also if possible outside too. Panties with cotton lines are good for person suffering from Yeast Infections. Apart from cleansing yourself, your cloths too must be washed and dried properly. You can add white vinegar to the detergent to get rid of all the secretion of the yeast from your cloths.
- Vaginal Douche – Do not use harsh soaps, body wash and other cleansing products for bathing. Vaginal Douche solution can be created to wash the vagina area. This solution is formed by adding some fluids to water. The douching remedy is good only if you have vaginal yeast infections otherwise it is not good to use it often. You can pour the solution into a tub and lie down in it for a while or you can spray the solution towards your infected area with a tube with nozzles.
- Cranberry Juice – Cranberry Juice that is unsweetened is a good substance to acidify the secretions from the vagina and to prevent the occurrence of yeast.
- Garlic – Garlic has antifungal properties that help to keep away the yeast infections. Two garlic cloves eaten in any form daily is an effective home remedy for prevention.
- Yogurt – Yogurt is good for Vaginal Yeast Infection. Eating it is good for the health but you can also insert few teaspoons of yogurt into vagina and you will get immediate relief. A little bit of yogurt can be placed on the exteriors of the infected area.
There are also drugs and medications available apart from the home remedies. You must consult a doctor first before you start taking such medications. Boric acid capsules are available in the suppository form. There are also fungal creams in a number of brands available in the pharmacies for Vaginal Yeast Infections. These capsules and creams are not advised if you are pregnant.
When you should not go for a Self-treatment for Yeast Infections?
Do not treat the Yeast Infections if you are not sure that you are suffering from Yeast Infections itself. The symptoms shown cannot be solely related to Yeast Infections and if treatment is taken for the wrong disease it will affect your health. You must first be diagnosed of Yeast Infections before taking any treatments or medications for it. And it is a big No especially when you are planning to take this treatment yourself. The symptoms of Yeast Infections are similar to the symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis or STI and so you have to confirm first on this infection before taking any further action.
If you get a Vaginal Yeast Infection do not go for self treatment when you are pregnant. Always consult a doctor or seek help from any medical professionals in such cases.
If you are exposed to any Sexually Transmitted Infection or STI, you should take a medical examination first before deciding on what treatment to do or do any self treatment.
If the Yeast Infection is the first infection you have had, it is best not to do self-treatment in such cases. Seek medical help before doing anything. Also if the yeast infections persist, that is, you experience yeast infections more than once do not take self treatment.
Also do not go for self treatment if you are suffering from any other type of infection or diseases. If you are under other medications or drugs, you have to take advice from a doctor to see if taking a self-treatment or drugs is suitable in this stage.
Recurrent infection is another situation where you experience Yeast Infections for more than three or four times in a year. This condition is very serious and definitely needs medical treatment than self-treatment. You have to consult a doctor if the infections are occurring again and again. This recurrent yeast infection is also known as Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis (RVVC) which occurs in around 5% of women and there are antifungal medications available for it.