Knee pain is one of the commonly seen lifestyle diseases seen in today’s life especially in elderly people. It may not be life threatening but is definitely a health condition that needs attention. If you neglect knee pain it can cause lot of pain and discomfort thus affecting your normal lifestyle putting you under complete bed rest till recovered. Every morning you can see many people doing their morning walks and trying to get rid of that excruciating pain.
Among them, one person I would see is my mom. A complete homemaker, my mom handled all the responsibilities and troubles thrown in her way with a positive stride. Now as she is aging, her knee pain is growing with her. Doing the obvious, I took her to doctor who gave her a handful of pills, asking her to maintain weight and exercise regularly.
While exercising and maintaining a proportionate weight is a matter that can be regulated, I wasn’t sure of pills. IF you think logically, they act like anesthesia i.e. provide relief temporarily and rise up again once you stop taking them. I need not ramble about the side effects either.
Now my mom is a fan of popping pills. She rather go for antibiotics as it provided instant relief and you need not go through the strain of mixing one ingredient with other and consuming them. Trust me I had a hard time convincing her to try natural remedies.
I have heard that as people grow old, they act like kids. So it was my time to become a parent to my mom and run behind her and deal with her tantrums. After lot of pushing and emotional blackmail, I put her on few of these natural remedies that worked effectively though they took their own time.
Natural remedies are always the best since they are a gift from Mother Earth and are available abundant. If you or your loved ones are dealing with knee pain, then these 10 native remedies work miracles on the body.
Top 10 remedies for knee pain
- Massaging the pain: One of the best ways to treat knee pain is by improving the blood flow in that area. Use a good quality oil such as olive oil or any others and massage the area well in a gentle but firm way. Follow this routine everyday.
- Epsom salt: Take warm water and put some epsom salts in it. They balance the pH level in the body thus bringing a balance. Soak your knee for 15-20 minutes daily for better relief.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a powerful natural medicine that has many health benefits. Right from curing ovarian cyst to treating weight loss to healing knee pain, cinnamon has many anti-inflammatory properties that will work on your benefit. You can either consume a blend of cinnamon and honey early in the morning or simply make a paste of cinnamon and honey and apply it in the affected area.
- Compress with ice: Apart from cutting down any swelling, keeping an ice bag will also help in reducing any inflammation in the area as well. It will help you a great deal in alleviating the pain and assisting you in a comfy life. Follow the process 1-2 times daily.
- Heat application: Just like ice application, heat therapy reduces knee pain as well. For the same purpose, soak in warm water for 10-15 minutes. You can even keep hot water bags through towel for best results.
- Ginger: Straight from your kitchen, ginger has many anti-inflammatory properties that can relax the muscles and improve the blood circulation in the body. Chew them raw everyday or prepare ginger tea and consume at least twice a day for best results.
- Papaya seeds: Next time you consume papaya do not throw away the seeds. Take them and boil it in water for 5-7 minutes. You can add a tea bag, steep for couple of minutes. Now strain it and consume with a pinch of black pepper and honey for beneficial results.
- Pineapple: Pineapple contains properties and enzymes that will help you get rid of knee pain. Simply have a bowl of pineapple each every for inhibiting knee pain.
- Move around: Do not glue yourself at the same place for more than an hour. Lack of movement also causes rigidity to the knees. If you want to get rid of knee pain then make sure you do a little movement here and there as a home remedial cure.
- Cherries: Rich in minerals such as potassium, magnesium etc. cherries are considered one of the best for knee pain. They are also rich in antioxidants that cut down conditions such as arthritis inflammation. Include at least 10 cherries every day for promising results.
Of course, these are just few of the home remedies that have delivered promising results. I need not implement all of them just a few but they have worked amazingly in cutting down the pain and inflammation in my mom’s knees. Home remedies work optimum when combined with a proper lifestyle such as eating the right foods, having a good sleep, doing the right amount of exercise etc. and so on. Always remember respect the body and it will be thankful to you in many ways.