Yellow teeth are an embarrassing feature. It can affect the self confidence of the individual. Most of the time, yellowing of teeth is an indicator of a very poor dental hygiene.
Causes For Dental Problem
But there are other reasons for the same. The other reasons for yellowing of the teeth can be the diet, some diseases, pregnancy, medications, aging, genetics, some kind of trauma, or other environmental factors. In many cases the discoloration is a temporary condition that can be easily rectified with some home remedies. With these tricks the yellow coloration can be removed but that does not mean that you will get pearly white teeth for sure. The whitening process depends on the intensity of the discoloration. The process is to remove plaque along with the harmful bacteria that causes the discoloration.
Natural Cure For Teeth Whitening
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is the cheapest way to whiten the teeth. It helps reinstate the pearly white teeth. It removes the stains from the teeth and also kills the bacteria in the mouth. Swish the mouth with a glass of apple cider vinegar in the morning before brushing for best results. Follow by regular brushing. Repeat it once a week.
Apple cider vinegar is also used along with baking soda. Use the vinegar to make the baking soda paste and brush the teeth with it. Leave the paste on the teeth for a while and later rinse with warm water and brush as usual.
2. Baking Soda is easily available and can lighten the teeth by penetrating the enamel and can remove the stains and bacteria. Baking soda is usually made into a paste by adding a small amount of water. Brush the teeth with this paste. Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a little water. This should not be swallowed and try to keep the mixture on the teeth for about 10 minutes. Then rinse with warm water and brush as usual after 5 minutes.
Baking soda can be added to the toothpaste also and use this mix to brush as usual and wash it off with warm water.
These methods are effective and but not safe when used daily. Baking soda paste is safe to use once a week. The second method can be used 2-3 times a week but not more.
3. Fruit Peels: Fruit peels are the economic teeth whitening method. We usually discard the peels so why not make use of them. The peels of banana, orange, and lemon are useful for the teeth whitening.
Banana: Simply rub the banana peel over the teeth for a good 2-3 minutes to see instant difference. Repeat the process 1 or 2 times a week.
Lemon peel also works the same and the acidic peel bleaches the teeth to remove the discoloration. Lemon juice is also used for teeth whitening. The lemon juice is used to make a paste with a teaspoon of baking soda. Apply this paste on the teeth with a Q tip and leave it on for a while and later rinse it off with warm water. Do not brush with toothpaste after this. Use this paste for not more than two times a day. The acidic nature of the lemon is neutralized by the alkaline baking soda and this helps maintain the pH in the mouth.
Orange Peel alone is effective to remove the teeth discoloration. A few pieces of the orange peel is rubbed on to the teeth for a little while. Leave it for some time and rinse with water. The acidic nature of the orange kills the bacteria and soaks the stains away.
4. Coconut Oil: Oil pulling is the method of using oil as a mouthwash. The oil helps remove plaque and makes the teeth whiter. Coconut oil is the best for this purpose. Put a teaspoon full of coconut oil in the mouth and swish it around the mouth for 10-15 minutes. Do not swallow it. This helps reduce the bacterial population. What we call the plaque are actually bacteria as a thin film over the teeth. Pulling with coconut oil removes this layer. The bacteria are dissolved in the oil.
Coconut oil has lauric acid that has antibacterial property. The pleasant taste of this oil makes it easy to have in the mouth. If the oil is in the solidified state putting it in the mouth will melt it and makes it easy to swish around. Spit out the remaining oil in the trash. Spitting it in the sink can make it solidify again and clog it. In case of using the sink, then pour down a good amount of hot water after it.
Do not swish the oil too forcefully as it may cause pain in the muscles.
5. Dairy Products can neutralize the acid from coffee and tea that stains the teeth. This helps prevent the yellowing of the teeth. Adding milk in the coffee or having cheese and yogurt after the food helps prevent the yellowing and also removes the discoloration.
Cheese is a surprising teeth whitener. It helps in scrubbing the teeth. Cheese reduces the lactose that can damage the teeth. It also restores the calcium in the teeth.
Milk in coffee and tea reduces its color and reduces the chances of stain. Moreover the lactic acid in milk reduces many periodontal diseases.
Yogurt contains a good amount of phosphorous and it helps restore the enamel mineralization and keeps the cavities away.
6. Raisins improve saliva production. Take a handful of raisins daily and keep the plaque away. It also prevents the plaque from coming back. The oleanoic acid stops the growth of bad bacteria Streptococcus mutans in the mouth and prevents many periodontal diseases. The calcium content adds to the tooth health. Chewing raisins actually cleanses the teeth and strengthen the gums.
7. Crunchy Fruits and Vegetables cleanse the teeth and also act as natural floss. Fruits like apple, pineapple and other fibrous fruits are not only good for our health but also for the teeth as well.
Strawberries: Rub half a strawberry on the teeth and leave it for about 5-10 minutes. Then brush with toothpaste as usual. Repeating this process once or twice a week can bring better results and also serves as instant tooth whitening. Alternatively brush the teeth with strawberry juice.
Brushing alternatively with strawberry and baking soda paste also works better. This may take time but can have better results. Remember to use warm water to rinse the mouth.
Celery scrubs the teeth. Chew this vegetable by adding them in the salad and also use the leaves for scrubbing the teeth. The yellow color will be gone within a month. The natural acid in this vegetable removes the coffee stains.
With the help of some changes in the life style, whiter teeth can be maintained for a long time. Once you have white teeth or at least when the yellowish color is removed, then it is as important to maintain it. Avoid anything that can cause the discoloration again. If you are a coffee addict, try reducing the consumption and also try to add as much of fruits and vegetables as possible in the daily diet. Use any of these methods once or twice a week.
Remember to floss everyday and see that you always have the sparkle when you smile.
Always remember that whitening the teeth cannot be done overnight. It takes time, at least a month before we see any major difference. It takes more time to maintain the same. It will not be as white as the moon but the color will improve considerably. Do not keep your hopes high and be satisfied with the results you get. Life is not all about having the whitest teeth.