Cough is an irritating situation which helps to get rid of the substances in the air passages from the nose and mouth to the lungs. In other terms, the air in the lungs is forcefully pumped out under high pressure. The intensities of cough vary but there are natural remedies to relief the cough for the time being or permanently.
Here are 8 effective Natural Remedies for curing Cough:
1. Garlic – Garlic is one of the most effective natural remedy for cough. It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that are good for treating cough and other chest congestions. To form the mixture, you need two to three cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of oregano, water and honey. Make a solution from these ingredients and boil it in water. Once it is cooled you can consume it few times a day for faster relief. Eating crushed garlic with drops of clove oil is also good for sore throat. You can add some drops of honey to it for taste and enhanced results.
2. Lemon – Just sucking a lemon would give you instant relief from cough. What you have to do is cut the lemon in halves, then on one half sprinkles some black pepper and salt and suck it. Keep on sucking it till your cough reduces and your lemon finishes. It gives a quick relief and also keeps your refreshed. Lemon juice is also good for cough but the effect varies on people. Lemon is good for boosting the immune system. A mixture of lemon, honey and water works wonder on curing your cough. You can also add lemon to tea and drink it. There are also green lemon teas available.
3. Ginger – Ginger has been a cure for cough since ages. It is one of the most popular and widely used natural remedies for cough even now. Chop the ginger into small pieces and crush them. Boil the crushed ginger in a cup of water. Wait till the water cools down little bit and when it is in a warm stage drink this solution. Repeat this for three to four times a day and you will be relieved from sore throat, coughing and congestion. For added taste and benefit you can add lemon juice and honey to it. You can also chew raw ginger to reduce your cough.
4. Honey – Honey is something that has a number of medicinal benefits and it can be a better and more effective cure for a number of disorders, discomforts and diseases when compared to the medications and drugs available. Honey has the properties of demulcent, viscosity and stickiness that cater to the needs of any discomfort in the nose and throat area. The irritated mucous membranes of the nose are given soothing effects. It also has antibacterial properties and kills the bacteria’s present. Eat 1 tablespoon of honey three times a day when you are having cough and you will be relieved in days. The dosage of taking honey varies in children and adults. Children should consume only lesser dosage if they have cough.
5. Tea Thyme – Thyme is known to have anti-microbial properties that help to relax the muscles of trachea and bronchi. It also smoothly opens the airways which thereby help to reduce coughs. For the formation of the Tea Thyme cough remedy you will need fresh thyme sprigs or 2 tablespoon of dried thyme and fresh water. First you have to crush the thyme sprigs and put it in a mug. Then cover this crushed thyme with water. The water should be poured such that the crushed thyme is wholly covered. Steep the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes. You can either add honey or lemon for better taste. This is optional. Drink this mixture two to three times a day.
6. Salt water – Gargling salt water is proven to be an effective natural remedy for treating cough and cold. This is one of the cheapest remedy where you have to repeat this gargling process for 2 to 3 times a day. It will help to reduce the respiratory infections and is very effective for curing cough. Add a teaspoon of salt to 8 ounces of warm water and stir it well till the salt dissolves completely. Pour this warm solution into your mouth and gargle it for few seconds and then spit it. Repeat this process till the whole solution is finished. Then wash your mouth with normal water.
7. Steam – Inhaling steam is a great remedy for cough, cold and congestion. It helps in flushing out the mucus and clearing up the air passageways. A vaporizer would do the job but if you do not have a vaporizer you can boil a large pot of water and add some essential oil to get relieved instantly. You can add either drops of eucalyptus oil or Vicks VapoRub or even tea tree oil to get a soothing effect. Once the mix is done, lean over to the bowl and breathe in the aromatic steam. Cover your head with a shawl or cloth so that the steam would not escape and you can fully utilize it. If you repeat this process of 2 to 3 times a day, you will feel very relieved and comfortable from cough.
8. Flaxseeds – Flaxseeds in liquid form is also good for treating cough. Take some flaxseeds and boil it in water till you get a thick liquid substance. Consume this solution and this will give a smoothing relief to the throat and cures cough. For added benefits, you can add honey and lemon to it. That is, once the flaxseeds form into a syrupy texture, add few drops of lemon juice and honey to it. It gives soothing effects and acts as a mild antibiotic too. Consume a spoonful of this syrup whenever you cough or get coughing sensations.
There are also tips and remedies available for constant cough throughout the night. Night time cough reliefs help you to sleep better and provide instant relief to cough.
Originally posted 2013-01-12 04:51:38.