Often used by the Hindus, Chinese, Egyptians etc.t he advantages of Licorice Root are so many that it has gained the name “Grand Tonic of the World.” Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) helps people who are fighting stress, diseases relating to your respiratory tract, digestive tract and many more.
Benefits of Licorice Root
The uses of Licorice root extracts are so many that it is confusing, where to start with.
- Anti-inflammatory: Glycyrrhizin has anti-inflammatory property that can reduce the inflammation and also prevent it from happening in any part of the body. It benefits more for the GI tract and skin health. It has a cortisol-like action and provides a whole-body support.
- Anti-microbial: Action of Licorice root against the cold sores causing herpes virus is well established. It can prevent many bacterial infections in the digestive system as well.
- Respiratory system: Licorice root has expectorant activity to soothe the cough and bronchitis. It promotes the bronchial secretions that can dilute the phlegm that eases the cough and makes breathing easy. The spasms in the bronchial area are relaxed. The antibacterial property prevents or cures the respiratory infections. It can also act in asthma as well.
- Stress and fatigue: Licorice root extract can strengthen the adrenal glands. The stress hormones are regulated well, and increase the resistance levels against infections and diseases. It provides equilibrium to the nervous system, which also relieves depression or any chance of it.
- Digestive system: Licorice has soothing effects that heals small ulcers and repairs the small damages done on the digestive lining. Heartburn or acid reflux symptoms are reduced with regular use of Licorice root extract. It can aid in digestion and promotes healthy bowel movements. The laxative effect cleanses the liver and colon.
- Weight loss is yet another positive result we get with the use of licorice root extract. When combined with proper and lighter diet, one can lose up to 3 kg of body weight. The catch is to give one week relief after using it continuous for every 2 weeks to have the best results.
Licorice root contains a vital ingredient known as glycyrrhizin that is almost 50 times sweeter than sugar. This glycyrrhizin in Licorice Root helps your body by eliminating any unwanted toxic from your liver / colon etc. It also possesses anti-inflammatory agents that decrease any inflammation in your body. If you are suffering from any cough, Licorice Root soothes it and also increases the expectoration.
How to use Licorice Root extract?
Licorice Root from Natural Wellbeing is in tincture form that is taken along with water or mixed with any suitable juice. Simply add 20-40 drops of Licorice root liquid 2-3 times a day. Remember, Licorice root (Melissa officinalis) is not any medication that can treat any diseases; neither can it be used as a replacement for any prescription drug.
Side effects of Licorice root
Licorice root is not meant for a long term use. It can cause hypertension, low potassium levels, loss of eye sight, fluid retention etc. the symptoms of low potassium are nausea, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, irregular heart beat etc. It may not be suitable for people who have weaker heart. Increased blood pressure, irregular periods are the other side effects Licorice root can bring about.
People who are allergic to legumes will have allergic reactions with Licorice. Similarly, the estrogenic activity can be harmful for pregnant ladies.
As for drug interactions, it does go well with heart medications, steroids, supplements etc. Those who take birth control pills be aware that Licorice can make hormone imbalance and null the effects of the pills also.
Safety and Guarantee
Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) comes with a 90 day money back guarantee in case you feel the product is not very satisfactory. Make sure to consult your medication before consuming any medicine including Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra). DO NOT consume this medication if you are pregnant or nursing.