Toenail fungus is a bothering, unpleasant, irritating and sometimes an embarrassing condition. Not only is it slow to cure but pose the threat of spreading as well. This contagious infection could make your life on halt. It sure needs medical attention to get faster relief. But there are also the natural ways to get rid of the fungus that can also prevent the recurrence.
Before you rule out the natural remedies completely, think about how the ancient people used to cure this disease. This infection may not have arisen on a fine morning. It has been bothering the mankind for a long time.
One of the most effective natural remedies for toenail fungus is using garlic. Yes, the plain old garlic that you can sure find in your kitchen.
Medicinal Properties Of Garlic
Garlic is not just for flavor in the food. It has several medicinal properties to keep many diseases away and cure many of them. Among the many benefits, the one that stands out more is its ability to kill the microbes; whether it is bacteria, fungus or any other parasites. The advantage of garlic is that it is useful as a internal medicine and used for topical application. The other benefits are,
- Provide relief from cold and flu
- Purifies the blood
- Fights acne and skin infections
- Lowers cholesterol
- Fight free radicals
- Maintain skin elasticity
- Prevent hair loss
Power Of Garlic Against Toenail Fungus
The anti-fungal property of garlic is enough to get rid of the toenail infection or Athlete’s foot. Garlic is at its best in the raw condition. Garlic can be applied to the clean and dry infected skin and should be consumed internally as well. The fight from within and on the affected area is a double blow to the fungus. It prevents the spreading and makes it difficult to survive inside the body.
The consumption of raw garlic on an empty stomach in the morning enhances the immune system. It contains vitamin C to improve the immunity and also has several other nutrients.
How to use garlic to get relief from toenail fungus
There are several ways to use garlic to get relief from toenail fungal infection. It can be used alone or in combination with other beneficial ingredients. Whatever the way it is, raw garlic should be used for the treatment. You have to be really patient with this treatment as it may take a while, at least 2-3 weeks to see the result.
- Crushed garlic: You can simply crush 2-3 garlic cloves (depending on the size of the cloves and the infection) enough to cover the infection. Apply the freshly crushed garlic cloves on to the affected nail and neatly cover it with a bandage. You should clean and dry the feet before applying garlic. Repeat the process every 5-6 hours to bring down the infection. This is best done on the young infection that has not spread too much.
- Garlic oil: Garlic has the pungent smell that is unpleasant. If you cannot stand the smell of the fresh garlic, you can also apply garlic oil on to the affected nail. The oil can penetrate deeper into the affected nail bed and work the same as the freshly crushed garlic. It is ideal to apply the garlic oil at night. Keep some cotton over the nail and also wear the socks over it.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder can also work the same. You can dust the garlic powder on to the nail. It can be an ideal alternative to the frequent bandage changes of the crushed garlic.
Garlic used in combination
- Garlic and aloe vera gel: Mix the freshly crushed garlic with some fresh aloe vera gel. Apply this paste on to the affected area. The antimicrobial property of the garlic is enhanced with the same effect of the aloe vera. Aloe vera can also soothe the pain and irritation felt in the nail. It has antioxidant effects to prevent further tissue damage and can reduce the itching as well. Keep the paste on the nail for at least 30 minutes and wash with cool water. Repeat the process 2-3 times daily until you see relief.
- Garlic and Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix 4-5 fresh garlic cloves and crush them. Add this with some Apple cider vinegar, approx. 1 tablespoon, in it. Apply this directly to the affected area. Keep it for 10-15 minutes and wash off. Try this 3-4 times a day.
- Garlic with rubbing alcohol: Mix the crushed garlic in some rubbing alcohol. Transfer the mix into a bottle and keep it in a dark place for a few days. Later, take this concoction and mix it with an equal amount of water for dilution. This diluted concoction is ready to be applied to the affected nail. You can apply this solution anytime.
- Garlic and baking soda: Mix the juice from 5-6 garlic cloves with a teaspoon of baking soda. Mix this to make a paste and apply it to the affected nail. The paste will dry and when dry, wash with cold water. This can be done 2-3 times a week.
Toenail Fungus Remedies – For best results
To get the best results out of these natural methods, you can try something else to the program.
- Hot compress: You need a hot compress that should be placed over the clean and dry affected nail. The warmth and moisture of the compression will weaken the fungus and bring them on to the surface. This helps in the easy penetration of the garlic juice and getting faster results.
- Foot soak: Soaking the affected foot in warm water with some detox salts or other material can soothe the nails. You can use Epsom salt or Apple Cider Vinegar. Use a 50-50 mix of Apple cider vinegar and warm water. Add a teaspoon of Epsom salt into this. Keep the affected foot in this mix for 10-15 minutes.
- Listerine soak: Use the Listerine mouthwash to soak the affected feet. Mix 100 ml of this solution and add either warm water or white vinegar to have enough liquid to immerse the feet. Keep the feet in this mix for 30-45 minutes. The acidic nature of this solution prevents the growth of fungus. You can also apply Listerine directly on the affected area with a cotton ball.
- Footwear: Choose open sandals or flip-flops. This helps protect the surfaces that you walk on and also allows the skin and nail to breathe. Change the socks every day.
- Probiotics: Take more probiotic food to boost the immune system.
Toenail fungal infection can be stubborn. It needs treatment from within the body and externally. It can be a time-consuming way to get rid of this fungal infection. Moreover, garlic can be nasty smelling so you have to be really prepared to face that. Garlic is an effective natural remedy but it is not any magic that can change things overnight. You have to do it patiently, as instructed and be fully dedicated.