There might be hardly any dish or salad dressing that is devoid of crushed black pepper. It is a great seasoning agent that adds flavor to the dish. It is one of the richest spices which were once used as currency. Aside from giving taste to the dish, black pepper is nutritious and has many health benefits for all. It can also be used in many natural remedies to ward off many diseases.
Black peppercorns contain minerals such as manganese, vitamin K, copper, fiber, calcium, chromium, and iron. It has low calories of just 15 and the glycemic index is also low. Protein, carbohydrates, fat, dietary fiber are also preset in meager quantity. The raw and whole peppers have more of this nutrition than the ground pepper.
The health benefits
- Antimicrobial effects: Black pepper can reduce the insect bite stings. When consumed the antibacterial effects take its turn to boost the immunity and to reduce the symptoms of the infection.
- Antioxidant property of black pepper can prevent cancer and avoid many cardio vascular diseases. The effect does not happen overnight. The pepper has to be included in the diet for a while to have the proper effects. Even the premature aging of skin and age spots can be prevented by the help of peppers in the diet.
- Digestive system: The black pepper can increase the production of stomach acid, thereby improving the digestion. This will automatically takes care about the diarrhea, constipation and other common digestive disorders. It is also good to relieve the intestinal gas. Black pepper is consumed adding into coffee to induce sweating and reducing the fever. The sweating also ensures removal of the toxins from the body. It also acts as a diuretic to have more urination and toxin removal. These benefits will reflect on the overall health as the base for health relies on the digestive system functioning.
- Neurological health: It is found that the black pepper is capable of relieving the effects of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. The chemicals in pepper stimulate the chemical pathways of the brain and reduce the impact of these diseases. The free radicals that cause the harm are nulled to protect the brain cells. The piperine is found to be a natural anti-depressant which can stimulate the nervous system and elate the emotional health.
- Nutrient availability: simply taking nutritious food is not enough. These nutrients must be available for the cells to take. The compounds in black pepper ensure the nutrient availability.
- Respiratory system: One of the major benefits of black pepper is its usefulness in aiding the respiratory system. Taking a pepper tea can cure common cold, cough, and even the asthma and whooping cough. It is a natural expectorant and can relieve the nasal and lung congestion. It loosens the mucous and expels the irritating agent in the system.
- Skin health: Pepper can induce sweating that remove many toxins through the skin and leave it healthier. In other studies it is revealed that piperine on topical application repels the UV rays from sun and reduce skin cancer. It is also known to cure the skin pigmentation-Vitilago. Ground pepper can be used as body scrub along with some honey or lemon. The dead skin cells will be removed and also promote the blood circulation that will mobilize the toxins and make more oxygen available for the cells. The antibacterial property of the same will prevent acne formation. But beware, never use pepper on cut skin surfaces or even a scratch, it will be burning.
- Weight loss: The outer layer of black peppercorns has certain components that can help in the fat cell break down. This is a great assistance in weight loss programs. For low calorie diet, pepper can be used for seasoning and also aid in the weight loss process. The use of this outer layer is more when freshly ground pepper is used, than the ground pepper powder. Moreover, pepper can boost the metabolism which also increases the fat cell breakdown.
Originally posted 2013-04-22 05:22:55.