What is Acne?
Acne is a skin problem that generally affects your face, back and the top portion of the torso. In gentle to moderate conditions the acne appears as comedo i.e. blackheads and whiteheads, pustules, papules or red and rough skin. In severe or harsh conditions the acne can have the inflammatory appearance like nodules, cysts and can cause scars.
What Causes Acne?
Acne develops because of the excessive production of sebum from the sebaceous gland resulting in the blockage of the pores with a sticky mass of the dead cells and oil. This makes a proliferation ground for the excessive growth of bacteria that are present in the skin. These alter the mass into compounds that cause inflammation and unappealing raised surfaces on the skin.
Sometimes, skin problems may occur because of the use of artificial cosmetics or from similar acne products. The problem gets more severe if you pinch, squeeze, scratch or rub the affected skin part.
Another most common cause of skin problem is hormonal changes and disparity that occurs at the onset of puberty. In puberty, the rising levels of androgen’s such as testosterone and its metabolite, dihydro testosterone, stimulates the oil glands normally on the face, chest, back, and shoulders.
Some other causes include emotional stress and sexual category hormones. Most of the girls are prone to acne normally in the week prior to menstruation.
How to Heal Acne?
Generally, both herbs and conventional prescriptions are used to treat acne by restoring hormonal balance and for treating acne occurring due to bacteria accumulation. Using herbs or herbal extracts are natural remedies with fewer side effects compared to conventional medications.
There are many herbal remedies that can be used to heal acne. Most of the herbs have antibacterial properties whereas some others have anti-inflammatory properties and can offer a deep cleansing effect on the skin.
What Are The 8 Herbs To Heal Acne Naturally?
The best natural remedies to effectively heal Acne Naturally are discussed below:
- Olive Leaf Extract: Olive Leaf Extract is a natural cure that uses the leaves of olive trees or Olea Europaea. This olive extract contains antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. It can be taken orally as well to detoxify the body and control hormone imbalance. Hence, olive leaf extract regularizes the production of androgen and other hormones in the body. It is also able to destroy and kill the microorganisms which encourage acne formation on the skin.
As this natural remedy is a detoxifier, you may suffer from the side effects of detoxification like headache, nausea and muscle aches.
- Burdock is the herbal extract taken from the roots of Burdock herb. Since, ancient times, this plant extract was used as medicine for treating skin infections. Burdock has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties to heal all forms of chronic skin problems and works as a blood cleanser. Therefore, it can help kill the Propionibacterium acnes and other bacteria responsible in the formation of the acne. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce the swelling caused by acne nodules and cysts. It also reduces the acne scars or scratches. This herb also stimulates the discharge of gastric juices and assists in digestion.
- Dandelion Root: The extract of dandelion root is recognized as a natural detoxifier for the liver and kidney and controller of hormone levels. It is used as a blood and liver cleanser that in return promotes clear skin. Dandelion root is a rich source of crucial nutrients such as Vitamins A, B, C, D, and some trace elements. Hence, it can be used to heal acne as it promotes healthy skin and reduces the production of androgens.
Dandelion has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties that make it very effective in neutralizing acne-causing bacteria in the skin. Dandelion root helps to stimulate the liver and digestive processes which helps wash out toxins from the body.
- Licorice Root: Licorice is a prehistoric time natural remedy most commonly used by the ancient Greeks, Egyptians, and Chinese to encourage vitality and improve overall body health. This herb contains anti-inflammatory properties that relieve you from the swelling grounded by acne, cyst, and nodules. It offers you a soothing effect when applied topically. You can also alleviate the red rough appearance of the skin caused by irritants during acne breakouts using this herb. Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid using Licorice root.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is acquired from the steam refinement of the leaves of Australian tea tree oil or Melaleuca alternifolia. Traditionally tea tree oil was used to treat skin infections, skin burns and skin cuts. The active ingredient in this herb is terpenoids and the most plentiful is tepen-4-ol compound. The terpenoids work as the antimicrobial ingredient of tea tree oil that kills the bacteria responsible for forming acne. Hence, it heals acne to give you clean and clear skin. Some researchers from the Department of Dermatology of Australia’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital conducted a comparative study of tea tree oil and benzyl peroxide. The treatment of acne with or without inflammation was the topic of study.
The 3 months long study results showed that both anti-acne medications were proven to be effective. Though, benzyl peroxide was more effective than tea tree oil as it rapidly started healing, tea tree oil produced fewer side effects compared to others and that too in a few study participants.
- Aloe Vera: It is a most popular natural remedy for treating skin infections. It can be applied topically on the skin or can be taken orally. The two most important ways by which Aloe Vera can benefit you to heal acne are:
Firstly, it works as a great moisturizer and cleanser. This popular herbal natural remedy penetrates into the layers of the skin to nourish the follicles and calm skin irritation. It is also helpful in rapidly healing the scars of the acne.
Secondly, Aloe Vera contains minimum 6 antiseptic agents which can provide a wide antimicrobial wrap for the skin. Thus, the herb can destroy the bacteria and fungi that cause or worsen acne indicators.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil is a natural herbal remedy popular for its pain reliever, antibacterial and anti-viral properties. It can be applied directly to the skin. However, before applying, dilute Lavender Oil with grape seed oil as it is very strong to apply directly to the skin. It is helpful in killing the bacteria responsible for acne. The oil easily and deeply penetrates into the skin to ease the pain, redness, and inflammation due to acne. It soothes the skin and promotes healthy skin.
- Red Clover: Red clover is a very accepted traditional natural remedy for treating skin infections. It helps in healing eczema and psoriasis to acne. It works as a detoxifier and a blood cleanser that acts from within the body to prevent acne.
Most of you must have tried and tested natural remedies to heal acne. However, you may find that some herbs will work less and some would be very effective on your skin. Everyone has different skin types, so you need to try and experiment on your own to find out the best herb that works efficiently for your skin and body.
Well, now you have understood the causes of acne and the best 8 herbs to heal your acne naturally. So what are you waiting for? Start healing your chronic acne problems with this natural herbs remedy that provides a clean and clear skin. Ensure that the above mentioned natural cures will have far less side effects. However, you are the best judge for yourself. So decide the best herb that is suitable for you.
External Links Reference