Canine cough is a very common medical condition which is seen in dogs. There are many reasons for the onset of a cough in canines. It is also however normal for a dog to cough every now and then but the owner has to know the difference between a normal cough and infection. There are many reasons which cause coughing in the dogs. Basically coughing is a natural response for expelling any dirt or germs from their system.
Dogs sniff and slurp a lot which makes them vulnerable to infections and a platform for the entering of the viruses and bacteria. Germs and bacteria are present everywhere and dog basic nature is to sniff and analyze which makes them vulnerable. Kennel cough is the term which is normally used to refer a cough in canines. A kennel cough is also studied to transfer from another sick dog as the disease is contagious.
The main causes of Kennel Cough
There are certain symptoms which can be used to know whether the dog is suffering from a kennel cough. Some of the common causes are:
- Fungal infections: Yeast and other fungi are all prone to enter the dog’s system through its sniffing and slurping. This can be treated with proper medication as there are many brands which help in the treatment. Homeopathic treatment is effective in particular against a kennel cough.
- Distemper: This is a type of virus which spreads through the air which can be prevented by vaccinating the dog.
- Heartworms: This virus is spread by mosquitoes which can be prevented by keeping the surrounding cleans and in case of infection; injections and vaccinations can be taken for the cure.
- Heart disease: Leaky valves and other related problems can weaken the heart muscles which creates pressure on the lungs resulting in coughing and respiratory problems.
- Lung problems: dogs are also susceptible to getting affected with bronchitis and pneumonia similar to humans and this can result in hard coughing and problems in breathing.
Throat Gold For Canine Cough
Canine or kennel cough is contagious and the first step towards the treatment of this condition is to keep your pet away from other animals. In sudden and worse cases of canine coughs, anti-inflammatory medicines can be administered to give relief to the dogs.
Treatment for Kennel cough
Canine or kennel cough is the contagious and the first step towards the treatment of this condition is to keep your pet away from other animals. In sudden and worse cases of canine coughs, anti-inflammatory medicines can be administered to give relief to the dogs. There are three modes and types of cough medicine which are meant to be administered to the dog. The first type is given through injection, the second one through the form as nasal mist and the thirst form being given directly through the mouth. This is poorly a cure and kennel cough can be initiated by a number of factors as mentioned above.
Some of the precautions which have to be taken by the owner are
- Keep the place dry and clean
- Keeping away mosquitos and other disease-spreading agents form the dogs
- Keeping the dog away from other stray dogs which is a very important step to avoid getting the dog infected with a kennel cough.
A kennel cough should be treated right away if you notice that it is taking a relatively long time to recover as it can worsen to pneumonia which can be fatal.
The Name is Rajeev. I go by a lot of pseudo names because I just like to have fun. Like Shakespeare once said, “what’s in a Name?” or was is Shakespeare? I love to read. Mostly fiction. I am probably the most unromantic person you could ever meet. Loner, Claustrophobic and often mute! I love to sit on my porch, read a book while it’s raining. I live in a farm surrounded by creatures and my best friend is a dog named Happy. I have worked in the IT industry for the past 20 years. I have been writing a book since the past 6 which i doubt will be complete anywhere in this century! I love to design websites and fantasize being a Hacker or nerd!