My podagra hurts….No..not my podcast, my podagra, as in “my big toe” plus my knee hurts too. May be its arthritis or gout or gouty arthritis. But is there really any remedy out there for this so called Gout? The answer is Yes…!!!
For those who are unaware, gout is a type of arthritis which can cause a sudden attack of stiffness, burning sensation or swelling in a joint. Usually developing your big toe (podagra), gout also attacks other joints such as feet, ankles or knees.
A little about Gout
Gout occurs due to excess uric acid in our blood which forms needle like crystal in our body and can develop over the years. Sadly, you won’t even know when it is happening. Some of the symptoms are tenderness, redness, swelling or sharp pain in the podagra. They can be quite unpredictable as it will last for a few days and then disappear for a while and come back after many years. So it is better to consult your physician to check even if you are free of gout as it may rise up like a dead mummy.
There are some factors which provoke Gout such as:
- men of older age are more prone to get gout
- diabetes or rise in blood pressure
- hereditary factors of gout
- consumption of foods that are rich in purines (such as foods containing sardines or liver)
- kidney problems that prevent the removal of uric acid
- too much consumption of alcohol such as beer or spirits which contain high purines
Normally, you will be given corticosteroids, medicine such as ibuprofen or any other anti-inflammatory steroids to alleviate the pain and inflammation.
What to eat and what not to eat Do’s and Dont’s for People suffering from Gout:
There are some factors which you need to keep in mind to prevent recurrences of Gout such as:
- maintain healthy weight if you are overweight one of the factors to be noticed for raising gout is obesity. Do not fast or consume low calorie diets. When you are on a diet, it increases the amount of uric acid and increases the chances of gout. Instead hit the gym and consume foods that are healthy such as fruits, vegetables that regularize your weight.
- Fruits such as grapes, raspberries or black berries are often effective for gout.
- Never say yes to alcohol or beer. It prevents releasing uric acid by the kidneys to your urine thus increasing the level of uric acid in your body. Beer has a high content of purine which boosts gout.
- If you are a non-vegan, control your craving as foods with high in meat and seafood increase the level of uric acid.
- If you are under any medication, consult your doctor. Some over the counter medications stop the level of uric acid flow to the urine and heighten the risk of gout.
You are well aware of how antibiotic medications available over the counter work in your favour. They only give you temporary relief to your pain and come with potential side effects. So, if you are looking for herbal or homeopathic remedies, you might as well try Goutinex which is a homeopathic product that doesn’t contain any side effects and which gives you permanent relief to your pain.
Home remedies for Gout
While consuming these medications, you can also try out these home remedies that work wonders for you in alleviating gout.
- By keeping your painful joint elevated, the rush of the blood slows down and reduces inflammation.
- Take rest by just lying down for a while.
- Unlike treatment for other types of pain, applying icing or heating pads will only aggravate the pain of gout. As an example, if you apply heating pad, it will increase the blood circulation and thus increase your pain.
- Don’t always go by style pointed toe heels or shoes forces the big toe to move inward which can increase your pain.
- Control your mind many people’s attitude towards the condition such as the ability to cope or emotional turmoil makes them unable to handle gout. Relax and take a step towards meditation or yoga to control your senses and mind.
- Foods such as apple are best for neutralizing the uric acid. You can take them as it is or simmer them in a water until they turn thick, brown in color and sweet. You can preserve them by refrigerating them.
- Cherry love: Cherries are used not just enticing romance anymore. It can even help you to remove toxins from your body, clean the kidneys and give you that much desired rosy complexion. So cook whatever you desire with cherry on the top, such as jam, tea, juice etc.
- Mustard powder Take 1 portion of mustard powder to 1 portion of wheat flour and mix it with water to form a thick paste. Apply petroleum jelly, lard on the affected area. Take a piece of cloth and apply a thick coat of mustard paste on it. Tape it down and leave it overnight.
- Consume fish oil supplements to ease the inflammation.
- Two tsp of cider vinegar and honey can be consumed which contains anti-inflammatory agents to ensure relief.
- Take hot foot bath with water full of Epsom salt which relieves you from Gout.
Gout is a condition which is difficult at times but there are very many ways to offer you solution from this condition. It is important for you to keep up a healthy food control along with medications such as avoiding junk/fried foods.
Sowmya is an ardent writer for many websites and loves to write about anything that’s under the sky. Her articles on Homeopathic and natural remedies for gout is very interesting and has gained interest in news.
The Name is Rajeev. I go by a lot of pseudo names because I just like to have fun. Like Shakespeare once said, “what’s in a Name?” or was is Shakespeare? I love to read. Mostly fiction. I am probably the most unromantic person you could ever meet. Loner, Claustrophobic and often mute! I love to sit on my porch, read a book while it’s raining. I live in a farm surrounded by creatures and my best friend is a dog named Happy. I have worked in the IT industry for the past 20 years. I have been writing a book since the past 6 which i doubt will be complete anywhere in this century! I love to design websites and fantasize being a Hacker or nerd!