The foremost thing to do when you are detected with high cholesterol levels is to make changes in your groceries shopping list. Taking medications for lowering cholesterol to safe levels are always advisable. However, combining it with lifestyle and food changes can drastically help you get your desired cholesterol numbers.
Few years back my mother suffered from cholesterol problem which led to heart and other health problems. To help her bring cholesterol numbers back to normal range, we decided a perfect Groceries Shopping guide and foods to avoid for people suffering from cholesterol. Sharing, this Groceries Shopping guide which will fill your diet with high-quality ingredients and nutrient-rich foods.
Fruits and Vegetables For Cholesterol
The first thing to include in your Groceries Shopping guide is wide variety of healthful Fruits and Vegetables. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, other nutrients as well as fiber, which lower cholesterol levels. It should be your first choice when you need something to eat. Prefer fresh and raw fruits and veggies, however, if they are unavailable have frozen or canned without added sugars, saturated and Trans fat, or salt. Do not buy plenty of fruit juice as it will not contain the needed fiber the whole fruit has and is not as good at satisfying hunger. The fruits and vegetables to include in your Groceries Shopping guide to help people suffering from cholesterol are:
- Bell peppers
- Leafy greens
- Summer and winter Squash
- Green peas
Note – For citrus fruits you must check with your doctor about potential medication interactions. Include vegetables in diet to intake cholesterol lowering fiber and phytosterols.
Dairy and Dairy Substitutes
Dairy products are great source of calcium but avoid eating cream, and select low-fat (1%) or fat-free (skim) products. Avoid buying foods such as butter, cream and ice cream and eat them on special occasions in small amount. These foods are high in saturated fat as compared to whole milk. Also, avoid eating egg yolks. Your groceries shopping list can include the following Dairy and Dairy Substitutes products.
- Low-fat or non-fat Buttermilk
- Fat-free, low-fat or reduced-fat cheeses
- Fat-free or low-fat Cottage cheese
- Skim or 1% Milk
- Fat-free or 1% Yogurt,
- Egg whites or egg substitutes
- Soy milk
- Almond milk
No Diets, No Drugs. Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Note – For Soy and almond milk check label, whether they are fortified with calcium and other nutrients and also select unsweetened products to avoid intake of additional sugar.
Meat, Meat alternative, Poultry and Fish
Adding some of the below mentioned products in your groceries shopping guide is must. Eat more of heart healthy fish and limit meats with fats cuts. Avoid fatty meat foods such as corned beef, ribs, steak, pastrami, ground meat, hot dogs, sausage, bacon, and processed meats like bologna. Also limit intake of organ meats like liver and kidney.
- Fish, high in omega-3s such as salmon, herring, trout, tuna, sardines, etc.
- Lean cuts and lean ground round Beef
- Skinless, boneless, lean Chicken or turkey breasts
- Red meat or park labeled round
- Wheat gluten meat
Note – For additional intake of omega-3s eat at least one serving of grilled or baked fish at least twice a week or two serving once a week.
Beans, Whole Grains, Soups and Condiments
Beans and whole grains contain fiber to help people lower your cholesterol levels. This category food is rich in fiber and is must in your groceries shopping guide.
- Canned and reduced-sodium beans such as black, garbanzo, kidney, navy, and pinto
- Dried Beans
- Low sodium Broth made using chicken, beef, or vegetable
- Whole-grain Cereals
- Ground or whole Flaxseed
- Whole wheat pastry Flour for baking
- Grains such as wheat berries, polenta, bulgur, and quinoa
- Oat bran
- Whole, steel-cut Oats or oatmeal
- Low-fat or fat-free Pasta sauce
- Whole wheat breads or tortillas or pitas
- Whole wheat Pasta
- Brown, wild, or brown basmati Rice
- Brown rice cakes
- Low-sodium Soups
- Soy flour
- Tomato paste
- Low-sodium Barbecue or soy sauce or Ketchup
- Reduced-fat or nonfat Mayonnaise
- Rice, red wine, apple cider or raspberry vinegars for delicious salad dressings.
Cholesterol , Blood Pressure
AlistrolBy Cle Holistics Learn MoreAnti-aging, Beautiful skin and Cholesterol control in one bottle