BEWARE OF CHOLESTEROL!!! THEY CAN KILL YOU…!!! Gaawwwddd, our doctor makes it sound like it’s a dreaded disease. But it’s not. In fact, cholesterol is one of the friendly products that your body produces. However, they tend to carry certain risks. But that occurs when you ingest the wrong type of foods to your body. From heart disease to obesity to thyroid issues, cholesterol has taken a lot of beatings. Today we will learn does high thyroid can cause a spike in your cholesterol level?
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Can thyroid have an impact on my cholesterol level? You may ask. Yes.
While too much high cholesterol levels thanks to saturated fats like butter, red meat can trigger a rise in LDL, an imbalance in thyroid hormones can cause fluctuation in cholesterol levels.
Well, you see, the butterfly-shaped gland in the neck produces hormones that control the metabolism level. We all know how metabolism works. It is basically a process where the body converts the food and oxygen to energy. Another feature of the thyroid hormones is to assist the heart, brain, and other vital organs to function normally.
There are two types of thyroidism – hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. While hypothyroidism produces too little hormones, hyperthyroidism is a condition where you are dealing with an over energetic thyroid.
Now let’s look at how thyroid can cause cholesterol problems.
BEAR IN MIND THAT your body needs thyroid hormones to make cholesterol. It also plays a crucial role in eliminating the extra cholesterol that your body does not need. When your thyroid hormones are low i.e. hypothyroidism, the body is unable to break the LDL cholesterol efficiently. Stating the obvious, LDL will begin to build up in the bloodstream.
But then here is the catch. Those who are having even slightly low thyroid level i.e. sub clinical hypothyroidism also tend to have higher than normal LDL. A study mentioned in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (JCEM) claims that high TSH levels alone have the potency to raise the cholesterol levels directly even if it means the thyroid hormone levels are not that high.
GET THE BEST OF NATURAL CURES FOR CHOLESTEROL AND BLOOD PRESSURE WITH ALISTROL
Underactive thyroid symptoms
- Weight gain
- Dry skin
- Slow heartbeat
- Trouble remembering
- Sensitivity to cold
- Lack of concentration
Hyperactive thyroid symptoms
- Weight loss
- Rapid heartbeat
- Sensitivity to heat
- Increase in appetite
- More frequent bowel movements
- Trouble falling sleep
If you are having the above symptoms, then get yourself tested to thyroid and cholesterol. Your medical practitioner will diagnose you and probably put you on statin medication for cholesterol or call for thyroid hormone replacement medicine such as Synthroid.
Natural Remedies For Thyroid
- Iodine: not a herb but is essential for thyroid function. If your thyroid is under active there are supplements. But it is better to eat certain foods and herbs such as seaweed, eggs, meat, fish, kelp, potatoes etc.
- Flax seed: rich in omega 3 fatty acids, they are vital to maintain a healthy thyroid gland. Regular consumption of both seeds and oil may help under active thyroid to balance.
- Ginger: best for settling the stomach, ginger is rich in mag, zinc and potassium. All of them are important for a good thyroid function. They cut inflammation as well. Chew on raw every morning or add as a garnishing tool in your recipes.
- Echinacea: while it cures common illness, they are best for overactive thyroid or thyroiditis.
- Licorice: for those experiencing fatigue out of thyroid dysfunction will benefit the most. Licorice also contains triterpenoid glycerrhetinic acid that can inhibit growth of thyroid cancer cells.
- Evening primrose oil: rich in amino acids, they are critical for optimal thyroid health. Heavy menstruation or hair loss are few of the symptoms of under active thyroid. A tablespoon a day can cut inflammation and promote a healthy thyroid.
- Nettle: is great for both overactive and under active thyroid. It can reverse the iodine deficiency with its rich iodine content. Make a tea by adding one tablespoon of this dried herb in water and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Black walnut: improve the health of thyroid by making a tea daily. It contains high dose of iodine that is necessary for under active thyroid.
- Siberian Ginseng: a natural and gentle stimulant, ginseng boosts energy and cut down the lethargic feel. It is recommended that people take 100 and 200 mg twice a day.
Natural Remedies For Cholesterol
- Oats: change your morning meal by switching to oats. They can lower the LDL by 5.3% within 6 weeks. The content beta-glucan in your oats absorbs the LDL that is excreted later on.
- Salmon and fatty fish: powerful omega-3 fatty acids (also found in flax seeds), it can cut dementia, heart disease and many others. You will also find them in salmon, sardines etc. that raise the good cholesterol by 4%.
- Nuts: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published that people who ate whole walnuts 6 days a week for a month lowered their total cholesterol by 5.4% and LDL by 9.3%. Cashews and almonds are also good options. However moderation is the key (handful of mixed nuts is good). If you go overboard, you might note increasing waistline. Replace protein bars with healthy nuts.
- Tea: has cancer fighting antioxidants which also lowers the LDL in your bloodstream. USDA research says that black tea reduces blood lipids by 10% within 3 weeks.
HFL Blood Pressure OptimizerA Proven, Time tested remedy to cure and control Blood Pressure No side effects. Worked for over half a million peopleLearn More
- Beans: rich in fiber, beans and lentils – they really are good for your cardiac health. Experts at Arizona State University Polytechnic found that adding ½ cup of beans to your soup controls high cholesterol and promisingly lowers it. Indulge in black, kidney or pinto to supply your body with daily fiber needs.
- Garlic: a miracle food, garlic is a definite yes for fighting free radicals and lowering the cholesterol. It prevents blood clots and reduces blood pressure as well. It is recently discovered that it stops artery-clogging plaque right from the early stage. Including garlic can stop building up of cholesterol particles in your artery walls. 2-4 cloves of garlic is a must have every day.
- Spinach: this green food has been shown repeatedly to lower the cholesterol levels. It contains lutein, a sunshine yellow pigment that can inhibit macular degeneration (the leading cause of blindness). Include a ½ cup of spinach in your daily diet. They can fight off heart attacks and prevent entry of cholesterol invaders.
- Avocado: great source of monounsaturated fat, this fruit will boost your HDL level while lowering the bad ones. Containing beta-sitosterol, avocado contains plant-based fat that reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed from your food. However, they are high in calories so make sure you stay in moderation.
I am an aeronautical engineer by profession. Between my graduation and my first recruitment, I had a space to fill. The letters would come in months. In the meanwhile i did want to do something and my FIRST job was indeed as a content writer. A student of science trying her hands on art could be disastrous but it was a good one. I learned more than engineering and flying. Health, gadgets, food , travel and a whole lot of things came flooding to me in the form of words. Writing did happen and in a nice way.