Fine, so you might have tried all the best allopathic medications in the market, learned about a few side effects and are now keenly interested in bidding adieu to antibiotic medications. Pretty much to say that you have realized that may be there are more to natural remedies than meets the eye.
Natural Remedies & Its Benefits
For beginners in the field of natural remedies, it’s always difficult to take the first step as you are unsure of where to start and how effective the results will be. Let me tell you that it will be quite overwhelming because you are entering a vast arena of herbs, essential oils, alternative remedies etc. so much that it can leave you confused. Now I am not trying to scare you but simply putting forth that Mother Nature is quite mysteriously beautiful and can give you bountiful results once you get to know her.
Take a look at the past and notice that as kids, we were relying on Tylenol for headaches, Neosprin for cuts, Pepto Bismal for tummy issue and so on and the medicine cabinet was loaded with immediate remedies.
It wasn’t only till recent times that many realized that pharmaceutical medications put up a ‘mask’ of assisting us but are in fact delivering harmful chemicals in the body that do not deliver the wholeness and vitality they promised. For instance, Tylenol can cause liver damage.
5 Natural Remedies For Beginners
Making the switch
I think the best course of action when you are making the transition from alopathic to natural remedies is by picking up few native remedies, achieve the results, know how it feels and only then move to more of them. To help you I am providing five natural remedies that is a great step for beginners who wants to take it slow and safe.
- Clay: No, I am not asking you to eat mud, but hear me out first. Clay or in other words called the bentonite clay is the core ingredient of Pepto Bismal. Yup, you read that right. But Pepto Bismal also contain many other added ingredients that is not really necessary for your body.
The underlying reason is because clay works as a magnet in attracting and eliminating toxic impurities from the digestive gut, infections from skin etc. they also have a soothing effect in the body. This is one of the reasons why many people use clay for insect stings/bites, soothing cuts or scrapes, stomach issues such as indigestion, diarrhea, removing skin infection or cleansing and detoxification (especially while bathing).
- Garlic: No fried or cooked types, but raw garlic is the key for a healthy body. One of the most used foods in Indian cooking, garlic has more than one benefits right from fighting inflammation to killing those cancerous cells. The best part is they are available in any grocery store and stays a long time in cool, dark place. Raw garlic when crushed or chopped emit pungent smell because the compounds are activated at once that releases antibiotic, anti-fungal and antiviral properties. Be it for an ear infection or getting rid of candida infection, garlic has numerous benefits to look out for and is a must have as a natural remedy.
- Herbal salve: A wonder cream in all ways, herbal salve a blend of essential oils and solidified that works great for both kids and adults likewise. It is also one of the easiest natural remedies you can begin with.
It can be used like Neosprin or any other antibiotic ointment to keep the infections away but the highlighting part is the natural benefits that are do not inhibit infection but also enable easy healing. Here is the complete recipe – http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/10/diy-organic-herbal-salve.html
- Essential oils: Be it for aromatherapy or simply chucking away a cold, essential oils are quite easy and affordable to use. And when you use them effectively can benefit you quite good. There are controversies surrounding whether these oils can be ingested or not and I do agree with it but then that’s still a delicate topic to be touched so we won’t be entering them right now.
Essential Oils & Benefits
Right now, let’s now focus on few beneficial essential oils that are used for deriving myriad benefits.
- Peppermint: Efficiently cures muscles, headaches and also goes great for those who tend to get nauseous easily. Simply smelling them can help a lot so does rubbing on temples or behind ears. As the oil is quite strong, you can mix them with other carrier oil such as coconut or olive oil before you apply on skin.
- Eucalpytus: Want a quick vaporub? Pour little drops of olive oil at your hand and add few drops of eucalpytus. You can got yourself a vaporub in a jiffy. You can rub it on chest and back but for better results you can apply them on your bare feet and then put socks for waking up fresh and better.
- Lavender: is amazingly soothing for burns or cuts as it alleviates the pain within no time. Rub a drop or two to the burn area (not for serious burns, of course). It relieves you from pain within 5 minutes and for best results can re-apply it for 10-15 minutes later when needed. It also acts as a mood enhancer whether used with carrier oil or simply rubbed on skin or just smelling the oil. This is one of the reasons it is considered best as diffuser.
- Ginger: A prominent remedy not only for weight loss but also for a healthy digestive system, get some ginger from your grocery store. Though ginger powder are also readily available, I would go with the roots. Use fresh and peeled ginger (slices, chunks) or go with ginger tea (i.e. chopping fresh ginger while making tea).
Amazingly both work excellently on your body for treating morning sickness, nausea, gas, heartburn, upset stomach etc. Though unheard of ginger is also considered a good remedy for those who are running with fevers, flu or cold. Run a hot bath and add half to one cup of ginger powder (kids need only 1/4 cup). Sit and soak in the hot ginger water. After a while you might feel flushed. So make sure to drink lots of water and stay in only as long as you are able to. Many have found it quite beneficial in cutting down the chillness, body pains due to fever and cuts down the duration as well.
Natural remedies are the perfect way to cleanse your body and turn a new leaf towards holistic curing. Start with the above mentioned healers and move towards a positive life ahead.
I am an aeronautical engineer by profession. Between my graduation and my first recruitment, I had a space to fill. The letters would come in months. In the meanwhile i did want to do something and my FIRST job was indeed as a content writer. A student of science trying her hands on art could be disastrous but it was a good one. I learned more than engineering and flying. Health, gadgets, food , travel and a whole lot of things came flooding to me in the form of words. Writing did happen and in a nice way.