Pink Eye is also known as Conjunctivitis as it is an infection caused due to the inflammation of the conjunctiva. The white membranes of the eyes are affected by virus, bacteria or allergy irritants. Dust and toxic agents can also cause Pink Eyes.
This is an infection that can affect people of any age. Viral and bacterial Pink Eye infections usually occur in the kids. Some Pink Eyes are infectious and some are noninfectious. If proper treatment is given, you will be cured of Pink Eye infection in a very less time. Pink Eyes do not affect your vision, it will only give you an irritated and sore eyes.
Types of Pink Eye
Pink Eyes are caused either by a virus, bacteria or allergy. So the different types of Pink Eyes are:
- Viral Pink Eye – You are suffering from viral pink eyes if you have a water drainage. This infection commonly starts in one eye and slowly spreads to the other. Viral pink eyes are contagious. The symptoms of the viral pink eye include swelling of the eyelids, burning sensation in your eyes, itching feeling, redness in your eyes, tearing and thick drainage. Sometimes it is better to run the virus till it lasts and not treat it. These viral infections do not last for long.
- Bacterial Pink Eye – Bacterial Pink Eyes gives a greenish or yellow drainage and it is contagious. You know you are suffering from the bacterial pink eye when along with the redness in your eyes and colored drainage, you will also experience mild pain. The upper eyelid of the infected eyes may swell. There are antibiotic drops available for bacterial pink eyes. This infection can also be treated at home.
- Allergic Pink Eye – Like the other types of Pink Eyes, the Allergic Pink Eye is known to have less pain. Some of the symptoms of Allergic Pink Eye are itching, runny nose, and burning sensation of the eyelids, tearing and swelling of the eye membranes. People who have dust allergy can be affected by Pink Eye too. You must avoid exposure to the allergen particles that caused you Pink Eye.
- Chemical Pink Eye – Chemical Pink Eye is caused as an allergy from chemicals like cosmetic products, liquids, bleach, polishes and so on.
Home Remedies for Pink Eye
- Honey – Honey has antibacterial and antibiotic properties which make it a powerful effective natural remedy for treating pink eyes and sore eyes. You can also make eye drops out of honey by adding honey to pure water and pouring it into an eye dropper for later use. For additional benefits, salt is added to the mixture.
- Breast Milk – A home remedy for any eye problem that has been passed on for generations is breast milk. Breast milk contains an antibody called Immunoglobulin which has the property of keeping away the bacteria causing pink eye from the mucosal surface of the eye.
- Teas – Teas are a good form of curing Pink Eye. Tea has bioflavonoid that has the power to fight viral and bacterial infections. Both black and green teas are good for these types of infections. Always use distilled water for the tea. The presence of any impurities may worsen the condition of your infection.
- Salt Water – Eye drops which have a saline content present in it is good for curing Pink Eyes. For making the saline eye drop solution add salt to distilled water. You have to take a teaspoon of salt and add it to pure water and boil it. Once the solution is well cooled pour it into an eyedropper and use it to treat your Pink Eyes.
- Barberry Plant – Barberry Plant scientifically known as Berberis Vulgaris is a good remedy for a number of disorders and infections. This is commonly known as the mountain grape and its powerful ingredients are active in fighting bacteria, virus, fungus, and other parasitic infections. You can mix it with water and wash your eyes for relieving Pink Eyes.
- Raw Potatoes – Raw potatoes are very good for treating Pink Eye because of its astringent properties. These astringent properties can help to reduce the swelling in the eyes. Slice a potato piece and place it on your eyes. You can repeat this process several times a day for better results.
- Boric acid – Boric acid or Hydrogen borate acts as an antiseptic for curing minor burns and cuts. The antibacterial compound of this acid is good for treating Pink Eye. For the eye cure solution, you have to mix the boric acid with water and wash your eyes with it several times till you get some relief.
You can keep cold or moist cloth over the eyes for some relief. If you are suffering from a chemical pinkeye you must wash the affected area repeatedly for five minutes and consult the doctor for further action.
Things to note for Eye Infection
- If you are unsure about the home treatment, it is better to consult a doctor than self-treating.
- Do not rub or touch your eyes often and these can worsen the infection. Even if you are not infected by Pink Eyes, constantly rubbing your eyes can make you prone to this infection.
- Always wash your hands after you do anything especially if you are suffering from a Pink Eye infection.
- If you are infected by Pink Eyes, try not to go to school, college or work environment until your problem is treated. Although the severity of this infection depends on whether it is viral or bacterial or allergenic. Whatsoever consult your doctor before you take any action.
- Do not share your towels, handkerchiefs, tissues or other personal cloths with others. These are the ways the virus and bacteria get transferred.
- If you are taking medicine, see to it that you follow the instructions and dosage as given.
- Lastly, it’s our eyes! Eyes are one of the most important organs that require care and careful handling.
I am witty beyond doubt and life revolves around wits for me. I look undernourished, thin, Cibophobia and Anorexic but wait. I eat as a normal person would. The perks of having a great metabolism is that you always get to look thin. I read. I am ambitious and most importantly, I love change. I love trying new things. May it be a new job or a new job location, If it’s interesting then I am taking it. I love food. I don’t drink but wait. My dog’s name is whiskey! My experience is more on the IT sector and have been working as a SEO and Social media analyst the past few years.