The reason for premature graying of the hair these days are the erratic lifestyle and stress. It is a wide spread health problem for today’s youth. This is the state of affairs no matter which part of the world you belong to. But they have also found a solution for it by sporting the fashionable salt n pepper look. Even though it is fashionable for a while, in a long term, it will not work.
Grey Hair – Chemicals= Cover ups
Using cover ups are not healthy as the grey hairs are not going to disappear. It is just like applying makeup. The chemicals not only dry out the hair but also affect the texture in many ways. Natural remedies are the best option.
Opt for Natural remedies for premature grey hair
When trying natural remedies, one should choose those that can work from inside out. It is not that anyone can reverse this process. The best option is to delay the graying process. Most often the reason behind the graying is malnutrition, nutrient deficiency. Certain vitamins such as vitamin B, minerals like iron, copper, or iodine that is deficient can lead to hair turning grey.
There are two types of natural remedies for premature graying of hair. One that is applied as hair pack and can do the same job as the chemical coloring, the second type that can be consumed as well applied on the hair. The latter type works better as a natural remedy that will stop the graying process and gives the hair its natural color back. Here we will see both these types.
Hair pack recipes
- Coconut oil-Lemon Juice mix: Add 3 teaspoons of lemon juice in enough coconut oil to cover the hair. Apply it all over and even on the long strand. Massage it on to the scalp for a while and leave for an hour or two. Use only a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat it every week. The coconut oil can moisturize the hair while the lemon juice contains vitamin C and other antioxidants. This mix will prevent fungal infections and promote luxurious hair growth.
- Indian goose berry: Boil a cup of coconut oil with a a few dried amla or powder. Once the oil is cooled, transfer it to a bottle ( no need to strain it, the residue will settle down at the bottom) and use the oil daily. Better results are seen with massaging and leaving it overnight.
- Another method is to mix amla pulp with lemon juice and use it as hair pack at night. Equal amounts of amla juice and almond oil also works well for massaging the hair.
- Curry leaves: Make a hair tonic by mixing curry leaves and coconut oil boiled together. Use it for massaging and leave it on the hair for ½ an hour at least. 1-2 hours would be great. You can also apply the paste of curry leaves directly on to the scalp. Mix the paste with a little yogurt or buttermilk for extra effects.
- Henna: Henna can be used from freshly ground leaves or from the dried powder. It works as a conditioner and helps the follicles to grow more hair. The recipe is to use the fresh leaves to make a paste or mix the powder with coffee powder or black tea. Indian gooseberry pulp also goes well with this henna mix.Henna is a wonder herb that can be used in so many other ways as well. Boil a handful of henna leaves in a cup of coconut oil until the leaves turn brown, strain the oil when it cools and use this oil to massage the scalp.When using coffee powder, mix it well with henna powder. Add enough warm water to make it a consistency of yogurt. Let is set for a few hours and use as a hair mask.
Internal remedies For Premature Grey Hair
- Amla: The Indian goose berry is highly nutritious. It has vitamin C, antioxidants etc. they help in pampering the hair to promote luxurious growth. Take amla juice every day. Grind 2-3 amla fruits de-seeded with a little water and squeeze of lemon juice. Drink it in the morning and follow it with the mal pack or oil later.
- Curry leaves: Include curry leaves in the diet every day. It may be added in the salad, dishes etc. It may also be added to make fresh amla juice. If you are bold enough, drink a cup of curry leaves tea. It will be bitter so add half a lemon and honey if needed.
- Black sesame seeds have protein, calcium, iron, copper, magnesium etc. take a teaspoon of black sesame seeds daily for a few months and see the reduction in grey hairs. The seeds may also be ground and made into a paste and apply it on the scalp.
Do not expect an instant result overnight. Henna and coffee-amla pack may give a brownish color to the hair and cover the grey strands but they are not disappeared for ever. One will have to be highly patient while dealing with premature grey hair. It takes at least 3-4 months before you start see some difference.
You can alternate between these remedies and there is no harm in trying out all, but not at once. Try a new remedy each week. Also take the internal remedies as well to get better results.