You can be a doctor at home if you have your kitchen stuffed with essential herbs and spices that improve your health. Why do you want to simply empty your pocket for silly health issues when the remedies are available at your kitchen itself?
Healing Herbs & Uses
You just need to explore and know their relevance in your day to day life. People are now a days so busy that they hardly cook at home. Eating from restaurants and hotels that serve you with added flavors has become a daily routine for all of us. Children of these days are so addicted to fast foods that they hardly know the taste of veg dishes. This is gradually breaking your health down in one way or the other. Many at times, you might have wondered seeing your grand parents living healthy and strong. They hardly visited a doctor to get cured from illnesses. To be frank, they didn’t had any health disorders. This is because they had healthy living habits. Well, here we shall see some of the top healing herbs and their benefits that you need to know.
- Black pepper
Best healing herbs at kitchen
Ginger is one of the important spices used in many of the dishes as a flavoring in cooking. You can’t make a spicy dish avoiding ginger. As such, ginger also has many health benefits, which many of them are unaware of. For a simple sore throat, you can use the mixture of ginger juice and honey and take a sip. This will give you a great relief from throat pain. This was suggested by my friend when I had throat pain. Like wise, there are many remedies using ginger. In some parts of the world, ginger juice is applied to the skin to treat burns. Ginger helps you to get relief from arthritis pain and associated swelling.
- Ginger taken in the form of crystals that are available in the market, help in avoiding motion sickness.
- Ginger is great when you have stomach problems or indigestion or gas.
- Ginger reduces all symptoms of motion sickness including dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Chewing ginger helps overcome nausea.
- Ginger also helps in lowering bad cholesterol.
- Adding ginger to your diet clears the ‘micro-circulatory channels’ of the body that includes annoying sinuses that come from time to time.
- Ginger also has blood thinning properties
Cholesterol SupplementLearn More
Natural Supplement to Balance your Cholesterol Levels. No Drugs, No statin, No diet
This bright yellow color exotic spice has n number of health benefits. It is well known and used for its antiseptic properties. Turmeric is used by many women to get a glowing skin. It has also been found effective for treating Alzheimer’s disease. It is also found that turmeric improves your heart health. Although turmeric is closely associated with Indian food, many housewives all over the world add a pinch of turmeric powder to their dishes to give a savory-sweet fragrance. You can also cook veggies by adding a pinch of turmeric powder so that all those bacteria and parasites present in the veggies get killed. It is a member of the ginger family and is what gives the curries a yellow color.
- Laboratory tests have found that turmeric helps prevent new cancers caused by chemotherapy or radiation to treat the existing cancers.
- Adding turmeric in your diet helps in preventing the pain related to arthritis, tendonitis and bursitis.
- Turmeric is also used for stomach pain, jaundice, liver problems, intestinal gas and diarrhea.
- If you are disturbed by headaches, bronchitis, cold, or any lung infections, menstrual problems, you can use turmeric.
- Turmeric is used as a supplement to reduce inflammation or other inflammatory conditions. Or else, you can scrub the paste of turmeric with water or honey on your fact to help stop acne or cool inflammation.
- A paste of turmeric and aloe vera gel can be used to ease pain and itching from burns, bites, chicken pox or eczema.
Cinnamon is one of the earliest spice which is basically used for making cookies, cakes and cereals. It is always great to add cinnamon in a coffee or tea. Being rich in antioxidant properties, cinnamon is a favorite spice among the spice lovers. Cinnamon contains a natural substance – polyphenol that functions like insulin in the body. It helps control blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. Studies have shown that people who take ¼ – ½ teaspoon of cinnamon twice a day, have lowered glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels up to 30%.
- Cinnamon helps in lowering blood pressure and treating menstrual problems.
- It helps to resolve indigestion and upset tummy.
- For those who are stressed and depressed, cinnamon is an effective remedy.
- It helps in maintaining a healthy weight and boosts immune system
- Sprinkling cinnamon powder on your food helps in controlling the cholesterol levels.
- Having a cup of cinnamon tea would give you a great relief from coughs and colds.
- Researches also show that cinnamon oil is an effective medicine for the treatment of tumors, gastric cancers and melanomas.
Ginger garlic paste or its combination is an all-time ingredient in most of the Indian dishes, specially those who love a bit spicy would love to add this. It gives a warm flavor. It is used all over the world as a fresh garlic or in powder form to soups, stews, curries, meat dishes etc. This miracle herb is packed with amazing health benefits. Garlic is well known for its antiviral properties among health lovers. Due to this antibacterial property, garlic is used in cooking to prevent food poison. Garlic helps in killing bacterias like e.coli, Salmonella enteritidis etc.
Garlic is very helpful in getting rid of cold and associated allergies. Boil 4-5 chopped garlic cloves in a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of honey. Drink this 2 to 3 times a day. You can also eat fresh garlic until the symptoms subside.
- Garlic includes a chemical compound – Ajoene that is effective in treating skin infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot.
- Allicin in garlic helps in reducing blood pressure as it blocks the activity of angiotensin II – which contracts the blood vessels resulting in increased blood pressure.
- Garlic is also known to reduce cholesterol
- Daily intake of garlic has also found to lower the risk of cancer.
- To get rid of toothaches, simply put some crushed garlic cloves directly o the affected tooth.
- According to recent studies, it is found that garlic may help to regulate the formation of fat cells in your body thereby preventing weight gain.
Fenugreek is a powerful herb grown in Egypt, Greece, Italy and South Asia. The seeds of Fenugreek contains all essential nutrients and proteins. Fenugreek contains diosgenin – a compound similar to estrogen that help in treating menopause symptoms and PMS (Pre-Menstrual Syndrome). Fenugreek increases libido and controls mood fluctuations. In countries like India and China, people use Fenugreek to get rid of arthritis, asthma and bronchitis. Recent studies have also shown that Fenugreek lowers blood glucose and cholesterol levels. For ladies out there, try Fenugreek that is one of the best natural remedies for large, round and firm breasts. For that, you just need to immerse 4-5 tablespoon of Fenugreek in 2cups of water and boil. You can add a pinch of honey, caraway, licorice, anise and fennel for added effect and taste. Drinking 2 cups of this warm mixture would have amazing effects on your breasts.
- Fenugreek is a perfect home remedy for treating fever. You can take Fenugreek with lemon and honey.
- Studies have shown that people who take Fenugreek seeds every day had lowered cholesterol levels after 24 weeks. They also had lower risk of heart attacks.
- Consumption of Fenugreek on a daily basis also helps in maintaining a healthy metabolism.
- Fenugreek acts as a skin inflammation remedy to treat all skin problems like wounds, rashes, burns, eczema, boils and gout.
- Due to the presence of mucilage in Fenugreek, it treats you from acid reflux or heartburn. All that you need to do is just sprinkle 1teaspoon of Fenugreek seed in your food.
- If you are a type-2 diabetic patient, you can lower your blood sugar level but just eating Fenugreek seeds twice a day.
The holy basil or Tulsi plays a significant role in the books of medicine. It is considered to be one of the most powerful remedy for a lot of ailments. Being a native to India, basil holds a sacred place in Hindu rituals and traditions. It is worshiped in the morning and evening by most Hindus. The leaves and flowers of basil contain many chemical compounds which are very good for your overall health. It includes various essential nutrients like Vitamin A, C and K, copper, manganese, iron, calcium, magnesium and omega-3 fats that help in promoting your health. With its antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, you are protected from diseases. Basil is a pefect home made remdy for treating coughs. All you need to do is add 8 basil leaves and 5 cloves in a cup of water and boil for 10mins. For some taste, you can add a pinch of salt. Drink this to get relief from cough. If you are disturbed by sore throat, gargle with basil leaves mixed boiled water.
- It is found that eating fresh basil leaves on a daily basis will boost your immune system
- Basil leaves are one of the best anti-stress agent. Various studies conducted have shown that the leaves provide great relief in fighting against stress. To see the best results, chew 10-12n basil leaves twice a day. This not only protects you against stress but also purifies your blood.
- Drinking juice of basil leaves and honey regularly will show a significant improvement on your kidney.
- Like above mentioned herbs, basil leaves have the ability to reduce the level of blood cholesterol, thereby improves your cardiac health.
- Chewing basil leaves will help you get relief from ulcer and mouth infections.
- For those who are taking treatment for ringworm and other skin diseases, it is recommended that you go for natural ways by using basil leaves and go for natural ways to cure them.
- Basil leaves are effective natural remedies to improving eyesight. Sore eyes and night-blindness are caused by deficiency of Vitamin A. Fresh basil juice is good to treat these issues.
Black pepper is a hot spice usually added to dishes to give a savory flavor. It is used as both a spice as well as a medicine. Native to India, this pungent spice is packed with amazing health benefits. Respiratory disorders, coughs, common cold, constipation, anemia, indigestion, diarrhea, and heart disease are few among them. Black pepper is rich in antibacterial properties, and therefore it is used to preserve food. It contains all vital nutrients like manganese, vitamin K, copper, fiber, iron, chromium and calcium. Having them in your kitchen cupboard help in treating you from several health issues. If you are having terrible gum pain, just massage black pepper over gums or gargle warm water with black pepper. Drinking black pepper tea is also good for curing cough, cold , indigestion, fever and asthma. You will get relieved from gum pain and its swelling. Lets see some of the healing benefits of black pepper:
- Black pepper is good for stomach. Most digestive disorders are due to the lack of hydrochloric acid. Black pepper raises the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach and thereby improves the whole digestion process.
- If you are looking for treating Vitiligo, black pepper would be of great use. As per the research conducted in London, it is found that the piperine content of pepper stimulates the skin to produce pigment. It also prevents you from chances of getting skin cancer.
- Black pepper helps in treating you from muscular pains. You just need to take a tablespoon of black pepper mixed with olive oil and rub it over the affected area. The pain will go.
- Many studies have proven that the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of black pepper helps in treating peptic ulcers.
- Adding black pepper to your dishes not only adds taste, but also ensures that your body gets all the essential nutrients. Due to its antibacterial property, black pepper helps to fight against insect bites and associated infections.
- Black pepper clears your mind and improves memory. It is effective in treating mental exhaustion and thereby raises the spirits.
A mint with a hole – one of the most popular punchline of Polo reminds us of the refreshing light aroma of mint. Most of them keep a mint product – chewing gum or candy with them when they are out or in the office or when they are in a journey. It is this mint that helps you get rid of bad breath. It also helps in treating body odor. What all of us know about mint is their refreshing property but it has number of home remedies. It has been used for years because of its medicinal and healing properties. Mint can be used both indoors and outdoors for its unique uses. You can use it indoors as a room freshener, or to make a hot warm mint tea. You can also use its aromatic scent outdoors to get rid of ants, insects, or pests ensuring that your veggies are healthy and protected. People take mint tea to get relief from all stomach disorders. Those who are looking for home made remedies to cure stomach disorders, muscle cramps, sinus pressure or migraine, drinking mint tea would be of great help. Let’s see some of the ways in which you can use mint in your day to day life to get rid of health issues:
- As I mentioned above, mint is used as an effective remedy to get cured from stomach issues. It helps in improving digestion. When you feel that your stomach is upset, you can just drink a cup of mint tea to get relief. Most people of the West, eat mint before their main course so that the food gets digested easily.
- You can use mint oil or mint balm and rub it gently on your forehead to get rid of headache. Mint is often considered to be a soothing substance that heps in reducing the temperature rise associated with migraine or headache.
- Mint is also used as an energy booster to make you feel energetic. Its refreshing smell makes your brain function with full charge. At times many of us feel depressed, tired, gloomy and exhausted. To avoid such issues, you can use mint oil.
- Due to its antiseptic properties, mint juice is an effective skin cleanser. It protects your skin from skin infections and also reduces pimples. The soothing formula of mint will relieve you from scratching irritation.
- Studies have shown that using mint oil reduces nipple cracks and nipple pain that arise due to breastfeeding.
- Adding mint to your daily diet helps in losing fat.
- For asthma patients, it is recommended to sue mint regularly as it gives you relief from congestion.
Mustard is another ingredient that is found in most kitchen cupboards. It is used in various forms for various purposes. The powdered form of the seed is used for garnishing purposes. The mustard sauce is used to spice various foods and its oil is used for cooking. Apart from the cooking part, mustard seed is also known for its medicinal properties. Lets see some of them
- Mustard seed protects you from gastrointestinal cancer. Studies reveal that mustard seeds restrict the growth of existing cancer cells and prevent the formation of new cancer cells.
- For people suffering from arthritis or muscle pain, you can have some mustard seeds and swallow them or else you can apply mustard oil in the affected area. It loosens the muscles relieving you from muscle pain.
- Slows down aging. Mustard contains carotenes, zeaxanthins and lutein, vitamin A, C, K – which makes it rich in antioxidants thereby slows down the aging process.
- Mustard oil is known to be a perfect hair oil for hair growth.
- Packed with all essential minerals and components, having mustard regularly improves the ability of your body to fight against diseases.
Rich in flavors, cardamom is a highly valued herbal spice which is used in most of the Asian cuisines. The medicinal property of cardamom have found success in many traditional medicines. It is an excellent source of iron and manganese which helps in the formation of red blood cells and cellular metabolism. This aromatic spice is used as a home remedy to cure various ailments like nausea, indigestion, stomachic etc. Due to its antiseptic and healing capabilities, cardamom helps to improve your health in numerous ways. If you are disturbed by bad breath too often, simply chew cardamom after every meal. You can also chew it at times you feel you need to freshen up your breath.
- Cardamom improves appetite. Yes, it works as a digestive tonic to help in the stimulation of digestive juices.
- Looking for an effective mouth rinser? Drink some cardamom tea or rinse your mouth with cardamom tea twice a day.
- It is said that cardamom helps in improving the health of your kidneys. Regular use of kidney can cure you from various kidney related health issues like kidney stones, urinary infection, painful urination, frequent urges to urinate etc.
- Potassium, one of the vital component in cardamom regularizes your heart rate and keep your blood pressure under control. It also reduces the risk of blood clot and strokes.
- Cardamom is also considered to be one of the best detoxifier. Packed with essential components like manganese, it helps in destroying free radicals thereby boosting your immune system.
- Cardamom has a very soothing effect on muscles, nervous system and mental clarity.
- Inhaling cardamom essential oil on a steamer reduces cough and cold.
- Take one tablespoon of honey mixed with some cardamom seeds for improved vision. This remedy will also help to strengthen your muscles.
Many of us know about all these spices and herbs used for cooking. But very few know the healing medicinal properties of these spices. For a simple throat pain and a slight fever, we spend money buying tablets and consulting a doctor, when we have such natural ways to cure them. Going natural using these traditional spices cure you from almost all ailments.
Age is indirectly proportional to the imagination. but then I haven’t aged and that’s going to put my imagination in the range of a 5-year-old. Yet, I am too old to party, too young to knit. My husband is an Accountant and My kids have their own life now. Things could be boring without imagination but hey! things still work up there. The writing was just one way to convert my strange imagination into something more creative. Today, I blog, write news articles and sometimes when I do have the time and when weather permits, I love to sip a cup of hot coffee watching the rainfall.