Dandruff is the flaky substance that you find on your scalp that sometimes causes itchiness and dry scalp. The causes of the occurrence of dandruff can many. Dandruffs start forming when the amount of fungus is high on your scalp. It can occur if you do not wash your hair often or washing your hair too often with shampoo when you have a dry skin, the presence of excess oil and so on. You often feel itchy when you have dandruff. The climatic conditions also have an influence on the occurrence of dandruff on your scalp.
Natural remedies for treating Dandruff
- Neem – Neem has antifungal property that prevents the growth of fungus and it is also a good relieving agent from itching. You can make your own natural homemade pack for treating dandruff with neem and massage it onto your scalp. For the mixture, you will need neem juice, coconut milk, beetroot juice, and coconut oil. Mix all these ingredients well and apply it to your scalp and massage it. Wash it off after 20 minutes with a shampoo and conditioner. Apply this mixture only once a week as overdoing will give damaging results. Another simple homemade pack includes neem leaves and hot water.
- Fenugreek – Fenugreek is a good plant substance that can treat dandruff effectively because of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The seeds of fenugreek are used to make the paste mixture to be applied on the scalp. Take 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek seeds and soak them in a cup of water for a night. Next day, take out these seeds and grind them into a fine paste. Apply this mixture onto the scalp and leave it for 30 to 45 minutes. Then wash it off with water or mild shampoo. For better effects, you can add apple cider vinegar to the paste.
- Baking soda – Baking soda has the property of alkalinity and this property acts as a mild exfoliate by removing the dead skin cells. It also acts as a fungicide and prevents the occurrence of fungus. Baking soda also has the property of controlling the secretion of oil on the scalp. For making the homemade pack for treating dandruff you will need baking soda and a cup of water. Mix this together well into a bottle and shake it. Apply this onto your scalp just like you apply shampoo. It is good to shake the bottle before every use. For more effects, you can also add rosemary oil to it.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is known to have a number of medicinal benefits and it is one of the best natural remedies for treating problems of dandruff too. Aloe Vera has the power to stop the skin cell proliferation thereby slowing down the growth of cells. The growth of the cells is a reason why dandruff occurs often. There are aloe Vera gels available in drugstores or you can take out the gel from the aloe Vera plant if you have one at home. These gels can be applied to your scalp for around 15 minutes and massage it well before you wash it off with any shampoo.
Home Remedies For Dandruff
- Lemon – Lemon is a citrus fruit and is known to be rich in Vitamin C. vitamin C is a very good substance for keeping dandruff off from your scalp. For the dandruff pack, you will need fresh lemon juice and water. Mix few teaspoons of lemon juice into a cup of water and mix well. Then apply this mixture onto your scalp and massage well. See to it that it reaches all the areas of your scalp and dandruff struck areas. Wash your hair in water after the massage. If this process is done daily you will soon see those white flakes disappearing.
- Vinegar – Vinegar is an effective medium to get rid of the unwanted skin, which is the cause of the formation of white flakes, and unclog your pores. For the anti-dandruff paste, mix vinegar to a cup of warm water. Scrub your scalp and hair with this mixture and wash it off thoroughly with water. Take a shower after 8 to 12 hours after rinsing. For faster results, do this process once every week or once every two weeks. Apple cider vinegar can also be added to the paste already made for better results. White vinegar is also good for this purpose.
- Tea tree oil – Excess oil secretion can be one of the causes of dandruff but there are other oils which when applied to your scalp give you a dandruff-free scalp. The oil from tea tree is known to have fungicidal properties that can kill the fungus and give the scalp a soothing effect without any issues of itching. Mix a tablespoon of tea tree oil to a cup of warm water and pour it into a bottle. Shake this mixture well and spray it onto your scalp after your regular shampooing. Massage your scalp and pat the excess moisture out after some time. Do not wash it off.
- Salt – Salt crystals are a great natural exfoliate and it helps to get rid of the excess oil and dead skin flakes present on the scalp. It makes your scalp clean and prevents the problems of itchiness. Epsom salt is good for dandruff treatment. Take three tablespoons of salt and massage it gently onto your scalp for around 2 to 3 minutes. Wash it off by shampooing.
Overall, a healthy diet has a great influence on the occurrence of those white flaky substance n the scalp. It is very important to eat healthy food for the overall health of the body and the hair. Green leafy vegetables, fish oils, lean proteins and so on are very good for promoting hair growth and reducing dandruff attacks. Sunlight is also very good for the skin as well as the scalp. Spending sometime daily in outside during the sunny times has proven to reduce the dandruff occurrence and dries up the excess oil too.